Featured Green and Gold Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lisa, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

I would like to get more information about this green with gold glass piece. I have family pictures with it placed in the house from a family member who was alive from 1850-1920. So I can guess that it is dated anytime before 1920. However, it could also have been passed from a previous generation and dating it back even farther. It measure about 9" tall and 8" wide. It weighs about 2.5 pounds. I can't find any markings on the piece. Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

What a beautiful piece... I love the decoration!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Czech glass? Looks like. I'm going to guess circa 1900. Late Victorian any which way.

KingofThings and Lisa like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think Bohemian, and yes, late 19th/early 20th. A very fine lump, that.

Lisa likes this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I agree with the circa 1900 dating. My 1st thought was St Louis, France but nothing tangible.

Lisa likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's beautiful. The fact that it's decorated on one side, but not all the way round, indicates that it was meant for a shelf or mantle rather than a table.

yourturntoloveit, wenna and Lisa like this.
  7. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I too think that it is Bohemian. Very nice piece.

Lisa likes this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This is the sort of insight that I love picking up from this group. You folks are great! I too think this is a beautiful piece.

Lisa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't understand.....I see decoration on all sides .....what am I missing ?

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The decoration does wrap around the sides, but there's a great empty patch on the back. If the piece was meant to be seen in the round, the decoration would be equally weighted from all sides. The oval shape also supports the notion that it was meant to be viewed from the side.

yourturntoloveit and Lisa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OK, thanks..

12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

There are those that would call this Moser.

Lisa likes this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I think I'll call it Peregrine. Although Judith would also be nice...

14. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

So, I've decided to sell this piece. Does anyone have any ideas of value; a range of value? I've searched around on the internet to get some ideas. My main concern is that there are no marks or signature on the piece. Thanks for any help :)

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If you are concerned that because it isn't 'signed' is has less value, be aware that many/most fine art glass pieces made before the US of A required the marking of the country of origin on imported wares. Thus unmarked RS Prussia is older than the marked, often by 20 or 30 years. (Not that this is RS Prussia, just using that for an example. Moser was made as early as 1880 and marks weren't required until about 1912.

I would not reject that piece from my collection because it wasn't marked.

Pat P, Lisa and dgbjwc like this.
  16. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thank you! Very helpful and informative :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted