Green Depression Bowl - Is this Australia's Crown Crystal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kaudet, May 24, 2020.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Have had this green depression bowl for awhile and am wondering if it is Crown Crystal of Australia. Have not been able to find one like it. Is my guess correct? Does anyone know the pattern name if it has one.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy green depression bowl maybe crown crystal australia  005  may 24 2020.JPG green depression bowl maybe crown crystal australia  004  may 24 2020.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

All I can say is I do not think it is American.

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

Wonder if @Shangas knows anything about glass? There was someone else who just joined from Australia.
    Maybe go back and edit your title to add From Australia. Someone from there may know.

judy likes this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Are you from Barcelona, then?

judy likes this.
  6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    judy likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

@Miscstuff
    The first link shows glass from some American companies. Particularly Anchor Hocking.

The second one is for cut glass. The green item kaudet shows is pressed.

Was Crown a manufacturing company?
    Did Australia have glass manufacturing plants?

judy likes this.
  8. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

yep!
    Cited from https://collection.maas.museum/object/168513

Australian Crystal Glass Limited was established in 1915 in Wyndham Street, Alexandria, NSW, making pressed and hand blown glass. By 1917 hand blowing had ceased and only pressed continued. From 1922 to April 1926 the company became 'Crystal Glass Ltd' and then in 1926 they amalgamated with Australian Glass Manufacturer's - Crown Glass Works and became known as The Crown Crystal Glass Works Co. Ltd (ref. M. Graham, Australian Glass of the 19th and early 20th Century, p.88). By 1932 The Crown Crystal Glass Co Ltd, was based at Waterloo, and their Trademark resembled that of a 'map of Australia'.

I'm no expert on the stuff but there were others

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Interesting thank you.

10. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

In the link that Miscstuff sent there is another link to 132 photos of Australian glass. Thanks for sending . Have bookmarked it. A few of the pieces look very American. Strange.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

Those are probably the ones I saw that were Anchor Hocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted