Featured Green German ? Porphyr ? glass brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 8, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This lovely was a stowaway in a box of buttons.
    I’ve associated Porphyr glass with being transparent with opaque lines through it. Do you think this is German and Porphyr or something else as it is entirely opaque.
    The part that looks like marcasite is silver painted moulded glass.
    I think the centre glass is a stunner and it’s thoroughly let down by the excuse of a setting and poor quality metal.
    Any thoughts? It’s quite large at 5.5cm long .
    Thanks for looking :)
    2F35EB02-F025-478A-AC48-BE24B1FDF91B.jpeg BAB8EF0F-A326-40DB-90E5-340D01DD8946.jpeg 9F3B83E8-A245-4669-985E-5B5D62D50D81.jpeg 934F4912-068F-4AA9-AAEE-800D9777A2AE.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like porphyr(y) glass to me too. Very pretty.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Move heaven and earth to fix that one up. It's gorgeous. So clever with the part that is painted silver to look like Marcasites. We're going to have to find one of those green rhinestones. I have a very small stash of loose ones -- I don't think I've got anything quite right but I'll take a look.

Can't help with the glass but it's stunning. And at 5.5cm (over 2") that's a large piece. Fabulous!

judy, KSW, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Love it!
    I always sift through old containers of buttons at sales. Sometimes good stuff is in there!!

judy and KSW like this.
  5. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I was told by a civil war collector that he ALWAYS pokes through old button collections looking for buttons off confederate uniforms.

Button collections seem to harbor many secrets

stracci and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They do!. I often find bits of jewellery and lovely beads in old tins. I found a 9ct bar brooch in one. I always check out sewing boxes at car boot sales as ladies often stashed broken jewellery in them awaiting mending.
    I love buttons too, so many styles and patterns. They feed my need to find and research stuff affordably.

stracci, SeaGoat and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted