Featured Green glass toothpick (holder) :) - U.S. Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Mar 1, 2019.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

The post by dgbjwc showing his gorgeous toothpick reminded me that I had a mystery toothpick too ... just wish it were as pretty as that sexy red one!

This measures about 2 1/8" tall by 2¼" across and reminds me of U.S. Glass' Wisconsin pattern ... but it has two additional trefoil-ish designs (one on front, one on back). Is this some other U.S. Glass pattern that I cannot find? A newer reproduction? Something else? Thanks!

P1150062(1).JPG P1150063(1).JPG P1150064(1).JPG

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Great photos, wish I could help. Hopefully someone will know.

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Not having seen this before, I feel it was made ca. 1900 for a particular customer. By US Glass.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Also lovely .. now my little brown mug is REALLY looking like a piece of dog-do :( ... Joy.

5. quirkygirl

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m seeing similar Boyd mold, but this has the emblem, they don’t.
    Gypsy pot.

Christmasjoy and quirkygirl like this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thanks!
    It would have to be for some place that wanted a lot of them right? Like a restaurant or hotel chain? I don't know much about pressed glass, but wouldn't it require making a whole new mold?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

agreed, it's a variant of U.S. Glass #15079 Wisconsin, which has been reproduced by several different companies. The original did not have that medallion motif.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. quirkygirl

Thanks!
    I believe the Boyd's version had no handles, too.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. quirkygirl

ooops! I forgot to show the bottom of the thing (not that it's likely to help at this point)
    P1150065(1).JPG

11. quirkygirl

Thank you!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. quirkygirl

Hahaha ... I'm sure your little mug is much cuter than a pile of poo! :) (and much healthier than one too ... for holding toothpicks!! )

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

These were sometimes sold as "Gypsy Pot," "Witches Pot," or "Witches' Kettle". There is a story about these in the Degenhart book. According to the book,

"Reproduction of the 1903 toothpick holder in Wisconsin pattern, made by U.S. Glass Company in their Gas City, Indiana plant. Mould original belonged to B&P Lamp of McMinnville, Tennessee. After a dispute, the mould was returned to its owner and Mrs. Degenhart then had a similar mould made in 1971 without the side handles (called lugs)...The latter mould was marked in 1972. Guernsey Glass of Cambridge, Ohio also made the toothpick holder (with lugs). Piece currently made in Taiwan (with small lid) and is marked as such.

Doesn't help us here, I suppose, but I thought it was interesting. I did a little digging around but can't find an example with a medallion.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted