Featured Green Glass Vase With Sterling Overlay

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on origin, origin and maker?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Not overlay really. Just a paint. Not sterling either. Probably from the fifties or later.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I disagree.

The glass appears to have a lustre to it like some of the European glass.

Silver was added in two ways and I am having a hard time determining which you have based on the pictures.

The first and least expensive is Silver Deposit. It is a form of electroplating silver to glass. Eventually wears thin with polishing. To the touch it is smooth with the item.

The other is Silver Overlay. This is when a very fine sheet of silver is cut and actually adhered to the item, be it glass or ceramic. Your nail will hang up on the edge of the silver, as it sits on top of the glass or ceramic.

Looking at your pictures again. I'm inclined toward Silver Deposit.

lauragarnet, cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

There is no way to electroplate on a nonconductive surface such as glass

Silver deposit like on a mirror back is only doable on a flat horizontal surface

It is a silver bearing solder type paste painted on (or transfer printed) and baked

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, I've given up on trying to explain the difference between 'overlay' and 'deposit', 'silver overlay' seems to have become the generic term for all the various forms.

The earliest patent that seemed to be put into widespread use for silver deposit on glass (ceramic glaze also being glass) by electrodeposition was Thiery & Croselmire's #333697, issued in 1886, their technique, which involved applying a metallic flux before plating the object and cutting away silver for the design, was also used on ivory and staghorn. The 1892 Scharling/Wymble patent, #472230, improved on the technique by simplifying it and enabling an attractive white reverse - Alvin acquired the rights to that patent in 1895. Later, the metallic flux was hand-painted or transferred onto the glass or ceramic and then fired before electroplating.

All that said, this looks to me like Rockwell's 'Wild Rose' on a good quality glass - will leave it to the glassies, but I might look at Steuben...

~Cheryl

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

8. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    To me, the piece looks older than the 50's but I could be wrong.
    I guess I should exclude "silver" in my search as likely the decoration was made by other company but not the manufacturer.
    Here are some of the decorators

http://www.cambridgeglass.org/articles/0508/07crystalball409a.php

By the way, any good keywords describing the shape? Squat?

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

If you vase is iridescent glass, then I'm a little puzzled. Loetz and other Czech/Bohemian makers did silver overlay (common term) green iridescent vases. However, the silver patterns tended to be more art nouveau style, not the more common flower pattern on yours, which I associate with American produced pieces from 1900 to the 1960s. I'm leaning heavily toward American made. I'd try to find out which American companies did iridescent green and then go from there. I would certainly included silver overlay in the title as people often search by that phrase.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry Kardi, but I'm hitching a ride on your thread..........

Anyone know this puppy......bout 7 inches tall....and there's a a ring around the upper base. IMG_0305.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0300.jpeg IMG_0302.jpeg IMG_0306.jpeg

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

komokwa, any marks on the silver?
    Maybe start a new thread on your piece:)

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. komokwa

No marks I can find....it's real thin....
    I thought it would be a good fit for this thread, thinking they may be related...

13. komokwa

well so much for that....i will start a new thread for my next green glass...

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Just a guess on my part - Czech, Austria, Germany. I don't think Italy. Probably won't be able to id the glass unless you can find another one - looks like a nice piece. You should polish up the silver and use it.

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

Thank you CX.....I'll get polishing right away !! :)

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted