Green Glazed Covered Pot Made in China -- How Old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joan, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I've had this covered pot for about 25 years and would like to know if it's significantly older than that. I bought it at an "antique" mall and always thought it looked like a recent import that may have originally sold at Pier 1 or a similar store. The bottom with the ink-stamped numbers and the "China" mark look fairly recent. I've looked online for similar pots, but haven't found anything exactly like this. Is it too large to be called a tobacco jar or ginger jar? Any opinions on its purpose and age?

GingerJarGreenStoneware-6.jpg GingerJarGreenStoneware-3.jpg GingerJarGreenStoneware-4.jpg GingerJarGreenStoneware-8.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Probably somewhere between the 70's and 90's I'd expect. Nice colour, and a general purpose jar, doesn't look air tight enough for tobacco.

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ce BCA, I really appreciate your comments and opinions.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted