Green Plastic Like Beads Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 13, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess is they're acrylic rather than bakelite. That looks like a lobster claw, and if it's original the odds aren't good. Most bakelite went out of production during WWII except for some industrial bits.

To test them, get some baking soda and a q tip. Wet the q tip with water and dunk the tip in the baking soda. Rub on the bead, preferably near one of those chipped ends, and sniff. If you smell formaldehyde (it's pretty stinky) they're bakelite. The q-tip should turn yellow or brown too, but if these belonged to a smoker that can be a false positive. The smell is pretty well definitive. Other plastics will smell...like plastic.

3. kardinalisimo

Not lobster claw, regular ring clasp.
    The white patches inside look artificial to me. Like the one they use to similate cloudy butterscotch amber.
    I'll try to get closeups with backlight.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With a spring ring, they're probably 80s. The odds are still against them being bakelite, but it's worth testing them to be sure. Another thing to do is check the weight. Bakelite gets pretty heavy; other plastics tend to be lighter.

5. kardinalisimo

IMG_5473.JPG IMG_5474.JPG IMG_5475.JPG Ok, honestly I am really bad at smelling. I can hear and see good but smelling ...
    I THINK after rubbing with soda they smell ... as you say stinky as I'm lacking other words to describe it. Or maybe the soda smells, I don't know...
    Q-tip turns yellow-brownish but no idea if they belonged to a smoker or not.
    Relatively heavy for its size. By the way, it's one of those very long necklaces.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've used simichrome with a Q tip, or just rubbing to get the smell. Hadn't heard of the baking soda test before, but certainly if it works, most people do have baking soda handy.

My first thought was that these were not bakelite. A bit odd seeing such a bright color and so shiny, but your q-tip test sure looks like a good result. Exactly what a positive result should look like.

I think unlikely cigarette smoke would look like the result you got. I suppose to rule that out though, you could just get a Q tip wet maybe with a minuscule amount of dish soap, and see if it gets dirty at all.

Did a little poking around, I am seeing a few under completed that look very similar.

As far as the smelling, another way to do it is to carefully rub one of the beads like mad with your thumb, careful not to break the strand of course, and rub enough that you can feel a bit of heat generating--then quickly smell the heated bead. It smells like "insulation". It is a smell that is very distinctive. When you get the hang of it, you'll never forget the smell. Maybe a friend with a normally sensitive nose could help.

Here is an auction I thought had somewhat similar looking beads.

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bakelite-Apple-Green-Necklace-Marble-Graduated-Bead-Simi-Translucent-25-/162473041515?hash=item25d425de6b:g:KWEAAOSwmgJY7quF

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    anundverkaufen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted