Featured Group of Civil War Era items 36 Caliber Model 1862 Colt and Accessories

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by RLM Stamps, Mar 8, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

These items came from my great, great, grandfather Levi Lyman Burdon.

My middle name is Lyman. This is the story!

1. Colt Serial # 21287. Pat. Sept. 10th, 1850. Year of Manufacture 1863 Model 1862 Police and Pocket Pistol of Navy Caliber (.36) all matching #'s. appears to have retained most of its blue patina. 2. Original holster. It has "Lieut. Levi L. Burdon 5th Regimen Rhode Island Volunteers " branded or stamped into the inside. 3. Three boxes, of which 2 are unopened, 3rd has 5/6 cartridges of "Whitney's or Colt's Navy Pistol 36-100 Caliber". 4. Three round tins/containers of which 2 are unopened. 3rd has 52 caps. "The Union Metallic Cartridge Co. F.G. Trademark, Trimmed Edge Foil Lined Percussion Caps. 5. One Powder Flask with the American Eagle, 2 rifles and 13 Stars on both sides. 6. One Bullet Mold with Colts .36P stamped into its body. 7. 12 Civil War Buttons/ Pins. 8. One Shoehorn/ Bootlace pull in leather case. Top of case has a tear. 9. One tintype/daguerreotype photograph of my great-great grandfather Levi L. Burdon of Providence, Rhode Island, in his uniform. He served as Second Lieutenant, 5th Regiment, Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. The copper-edged frame is stamped "Scoville Mfg. Co. Waterbury Conn." - however I cannot make out the other markings. After the war Levi L. Burdon was a jewelry manufacturer and inventor. According to The Jewelers’ Circular and Horological Review, a Jewelry Manufactures Journal, he invented a process of making seamless gold wire that the industry thought was impossible to achieve. His Company, Burdon Seamless Wire became world renowned. They were refining 5,000 ounces of gold per day. He had to travel to Canada and Europe to protect his patents on the machinery he invented. Levi was the President of the Rhode Island Volunteer Auxiliary. His obituary speaks of, at the meetings he would entertain the men by singing "The Sword of Bunker Hill". I am not sure how many, if any of these items were in the Civil War. If I identified the pistol correctly, I would assume that since Levi was mustered out of the war in 1862 and the pistol was manufactured in 1863, that it was obtained after the war. They have been in my family for approximately 160 years. The pistol has been stored in a wool sock.

Any advice regarding value or selling this collection would be appreciated!

1 - Grouping 2592-scfopt.jpg 2 - Colt Gun 2576-scfopt.jpg 6 - Levi L. Burdon Civil War Photo.jpg

Frank, Pattywithay, Chiquita and 13 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How cool to have so much from an ancestor with a fascinating life!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I love that he's posed with a tin cup and hardtack! I've seen weapons before, but never the Yankee army's weapon of choice against its own troops - the food. (LOL)

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It all looks to be in pristine condition!! You’ve (?) taken good care of it all!!! I would NOT rush to sell it either piecemeal or together, UNTIL you’ve had some serious experts legitimately appraise it all!!!! TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

TraceyB and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the value is in keeping the collection together......

Cowans does a respectable military auction...

TraceyB, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Huh? Why are you considering selling something that has been in your family for 160 years? If you don’t want it, don’t you have a relative who would want to take custody of it to keep it in the family?

Tanya, JayBee, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Which would also be my first preference, unless no-one else actually wanted it, or you had a need for the finances....both legitimate reasons!!

TraceyB likes this.
  9. komokwa

or no one is there to take it..!
    or for what ever reason ...it's not for us to judge!!!

I would ask, politely...if the is a R . I. museum , that could showcase it as one of their own ???

TraceyB likes this.
  10. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Good morning, Thank you all for your responses. A museum is a great idea although I have always heard they are happy to take items but rarely pay for them.
    I do have three children which none of them seem to have interest in history or antiques. Seems that is the case with many from this generation. I just sold a corkscrew on eBay for $564. When I showed my oldest son an image of it and asked him what he honestly would have done with it, he said he would have thrown it away. Who's to figure. My fear is when I am gone there will be a large yard or garage sale. I do have a military cousin bearing the same name as above, since this was from my mothers side of my family. He does have interest in this collection, but I would need to establish a value to make a proposal. He got an authenticated sword from the battle of Bunker Hill from the same grandparent. Depending on value I may want to at least add it to my homeowners insurance. You do need an appraisal to do so. Then there is the finances. If the the value was high enough, I could always pay down some debt. I would very much like to start with finding the value. I would never put in an auction with no reserve or low expectations. I am not in any sort of rush to jump into something I would regret.

11. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

My fear in donating to museums is that there is nothing stopping them from just deaccessioning the items to raise funds. The idea of donating to a museum so they can hold the items safely for display and/or research is appealing. The idea of donating items so they can just be sold off to private collectors is much less appealing.

Tanya, JayBee and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    I have the same problem with my family but someone had a suggestion that the next generation would want any family memos. No one wanted anything from my grandparents or great grandparents so I ended up with it all. No one in family wants any of this stuff but I have a few younger nieces will might be willing to want the stuff. So I am leaving it to them instead of getting rid of the stuff.
    greg

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

RLM - I wouldn't rely on that 1862 muster out date. His record shows he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on 5 Aug 1863 and transferred from unit F to unit B on 20 Feb 1864. Looks to me like he had an initial enlistment period from 26 May 1862 to 1 Sep 1862, then a second period from 07 Jul 1863 to 30 Sep 1864. Here's the info from Ancestry.com:
    (NOTE: this is not provided in original form on the site - someone has transcribed it - always subject to errors.)

Name: Levi Lyman Burdon
    Enlistment Date: 26 May 1862
    Enlistment Rank: Private
    Muster Date: 26 May 1862
    Muster Place: Rhode Island
    Muster Company: D
    Muster Regiment: 10th Infantry
    Muster Regiment Type: Infantry
    Muster Information: Enlisted
    Rank Change Date: 5 Aug 1863
    Rank Change Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
    Rank Change Information: As of Co. B
    Transfer Date: 20 Feb 1864
    Transfer From Unit: F
    Transfer To Unit: B
    Muster Out Date: 1 Sep 1862
    Muster Out Place: Providence, Rhode Island
    Muster Out Information: Mustered Out
    Side of War: Union
    Survived War?: Yes
    Was Officer?: Yes
    Residence Place: Providence, Rhode Island
    Death Date: 17 Sep 1897
    Death Place: Providence, Rhode Island
    Additional Notes 2: Muster 2 Date: 07 Jul 1863; Muster 2 Place: Rhode Island; Muster 2 Unit: 2746; Muster 2 Company: F; Muster 2 Regiment: 5th HA; Muster 2 Regiment Type: Artillery; Muster 2 Information: Enlisted; Transfer 2 Date: 25 Feb 1864; Transfer 2 From Unit: B; Transfer 2 To Unit: F; Transfer 2 Information: Est. day of temporary assignment; Transfer 3 Date: 15 Jun 1864; Transfer 3 From Unit: F; Transfer 3 To Unit: B; MusterOut 2 Date: 30 Sep 1864; MusterOut 2 Information: Resigned;
    Title: Register of Rhode Island Volunteers 1861-1865

Pattywithay, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  14. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

You might want to contact the Rhode Island Vol. Decendents organization to see about collectors interest.

I also came across his passport application - has his signature on it - I always think it's neat to see the actual signatures of ancestors.

Burdon.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Figtree3, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  15. komokwa

Whoa.........I never said "donate"..!!!
    Museums do have funding to purchase .....& this set would be home grown.....but RLM is right to establish a value first !

smallaxe likes this.
  16. komokwa

@elarnia ........ nice added info !!!!!:happy::happy:

elarnia likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If nothing else I bet there's a historical society in Providence that would JUMP on material like this.

When it comes to museums, give it to them on loan. The stuff stays yours.

Figtree3 and JayBee like this.
  18. komokwa

both good calls !!!!!

19. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

For all of you history buffs, I thought I would share the Levi Burdon obituary. The Providence Jewelry Museum still has some of the equipment used at the Burdon Seamless Wire Company. In the late 1800's Providence Rhode Island was known to be "The Jewelry Capital of the World".

7 Obituary.jpg

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's a fabulous photo! I collect antique photos, although not usually military ones. The pose is very unusual. Looks like he is holding three pieces of hardtack in his hand? And by the way, pretty sure it's a tintype. Daguerreotypes were almost never being made by the time of the Civil War.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted