Featured Group of vintage/antique Christmas ornaments from estate sale today

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was thrilled to find these in a box of holiday at an estate sale this morning. I think the bulk are vintage, but wondered if I could get some eyes on these. All are glass except for the Santa, back reads, "NO INFLAM". Already found a similar Santa on Ebay.

The group:

all.jpg
    The pink one left, has "Made in U.S.A" on the the cap, WITH two other words. Any idea or what those words might say, thinking it is the maker. And/or keyword for this type with the ribbed edging?
    pink2.jpg

This next one pink cylindrical one seems like it is Mercury glass. Hand blown, here is the cap, but nothing on it. Any special name for this long skinny mercury glass tube ornament?

stem2.jpg

This next one has tinsel inside and cap reads: "Made in US of A: Any name for this kind with the tinsel inside?

orn1.jpg orn3.jpg

Last one feels older to me, the glass is very thin. Nothing written on cap. Would this by any chance be a Kugel?

k3.jpg k2b.jpg

Last but not least this Parakeet. In disrepair, but they threw it in for free. Also that mercury glass style. I don't need info on this one, but must have been nice at one time.

bird.jpg

Worst case, they go on my tree. But thought I'd check if any are interesting. Thanks!

2. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D60F7777-1A93-4AA4-82D6-86D180DAD374.jpeg Shiny Bright possibly for made in USA and US of A.

cxgirl, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are nice! The hot pink Shiny Brite ornaments went for real money for a while there. No idea about now. That birdie, btw, is from the 1930s; no wonder he's a bit shy of tail feathers.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

cxgirl, Any Jewelry, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Maybe you've already checked, but I thought I should mention it anyway. Sometimes the tails on the little birds are "hidden" inside. I've been pleasantly surprised several times, to shake the ornament, and have the tail pop out. Maybe people stored them that way, I don't know.

If not, I'd recommend getting replacement parts, as mentioned. He's a keeper! But then, I usually have several Christmas trees, and one is always devoted to these antique glass birds. They come in so many varieties...parrots, peacocks, cockatiels, swans, owls, etc.

But no, the "pear" is not a kugel. Authentic old kugels were heavy, made from thick glass, didn't have a "neck," and the caps fit almost flush with the top of the ornament.

Fid, cxgirl, yourturntoloveit and 7 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wonderful information everyone.

Great to have a link for items to help repair the parakeet, SOS.

Thanks info on Shiny Brite, INH and Ruth. And clarification on Kugels, Taupou.

Ironically there was something inside the Parakeet -- seems like wadded up paper (??) not the tail unfortunately, but good idea to check.

Appreciate you all taking a look. :)

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Love em all

cxgirl and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted