Featured Growing up with, and around, antiques

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dean Anderson, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Dean Anderson

Dean Anderson Well-Known Member

My parents were hard core antiquers! We used to go on antiquing vacations all over the USA. Didn't matter what or where, if they found an antique shop, we stopped, period! Haha! From an early age we, my brother sister and I, learned to walk through these shops with our hands behind our backs. And if we got a little rambunctious, there was a heavy price to pay! Lol! I've been in antique stores from east coast to west coast, from north to south with countless shops in the midwest. And any antique stores close to their house warranted at least 2 visits a week. Thankfully on the local trips, we weren't included for most of them. Unless both mom and dad both went. I can still recognize the names of many of the antiques having heard them talked about my entire childhood, but if I look at something today, probably couldn't tell you what it is. Walking around antique stores was one thing, but living in a house full of breakables was quite the other! There was 5 of us in a little, 1100 sq ft, post WWII brick ranch. And for a young boy with way too much energy, it seemed like Russian roulette at times, LOL! My parents weren't mean, but they were very strict. No roughhousing in the house at all, period! Occasionally something would get broken, but really not too often. But when something did get broken you knew what was going to happen when dad got home from work! Consequently, I spent as much time outdoors as possible to increase the odds of me not breaking something. Not complaining about my childhood, I didn't know any other. But now that my parents have had to move into a community and I'm charged with emptying out the house and getting it ready to list, I sure don't feel any emotional attachment. A couple pieces for sure though, some that are now 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation family items. But the over 100 lamps and fixtures, glassware and ceramics, furniture (including a very old pump organ), my dad's shop full of parts from his lamp shop, whatever the rest of the family leaves behind will be sold. So soon I may have items in the sell thread. At times I wished I had paid more attention, but to a kid more interested in frogs and such, antiques were just something to walk on eggshells around! I still think the stuff is cool and interesting, but just nowhere near the level my parents did.

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! You've come to the right place!

(note to self, get rid of stuff before the kids get stuck with it:eek:)

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

You're in the right place and in good company here, then. I was a bit like you. I visited antiques shops regularly from the age of five or six. And never stopped :p

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Sandra like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great memories, Dean, thank you for telling us.

It was the same here, antique shops, art galleries, museums, churches, castles, artist's studios. But we enjoyed it.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I grew up with a pile of inherited stuff, but my dad's idea of antiques involved coal and riveted steel. Kid rambunctiousness was encouraged. (i.e. railroads)

judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Dean Anderson

For the most part, we enjoyed it too. Just seams that it was usually me on the hot seat!

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welcome,Dean. :)

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Many of us were brought up the same way.
    Still remember when my sister swirled so hard she knocked over the butler's tray with the Tantalus set. Ohhhhhhh my! ! !:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

You have a difficult task for sure.
    After you and your siblings have chosen what you want to keep. If there are any grandchildren, don't forget to let them have a chance at keeping things that were Grandma's and Grandpa's. You'll be surprised at what things mean something special to them.

judy, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  9. Dean Anderson

Yes, the grandchildren have definitely been included, as well as the great grandchildren too (all 9 of them). It's been very interesting, to say the least, watching what the different family members pick out. And I've enjoyed hearing their memories of the items too!

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Welcome and good luck We lived similar lives but my parents didn't take care of the items they picked :( They did pass the bug onto me and I love to treasure hunt anywhere I go and collect all sorts of things. You will do just fine and of course, we wanna see pics!!!

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted