Guess the goodies game

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 30, 2020.

?

Where are the goodies?

1. Photo 1

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Photo 2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Photo 3

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Photo 4

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  5. Photo 5

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Photo 6

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone. Thought I'd try a new way to play a "guess the goodies" game. For this one, take a look at the photos below (numbered for convenience). Then answer the poll above; what photo/photos have the best chance of being goodies (aka real silver)?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Do you want a verbal reply too? I'm guessing not right now.

MrNate likes this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Completely up to you! I don't mind if you use the poll or write a response, I was just excited to use the POLL ;)

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

following to see...

MrNate likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I did the poll and I'm going with #4. I like Mexican silver.....wait is that too much info?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Houseful, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I agree with SIS on #4, but I am also thinking possible #6 also.

BWDIK

MrNate likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking 4 and 6 too but on second look think it's 4. I did find a sterling serving bowl once. Once. I wasn't even sure up to that point they'd ever made any solid silver ones.(LOL)

Houseful and MrNate like this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great observations from everyone, including those that answered the poll. Only scroll down if you want the answer:

#4 caught my eye just like everyone else here. You can see how the tone stands out compared to the rest of this lot. Regarding #6, I didn't actually ask about it, my rule with a listing like this is try to find the best out of the bunch and don't annoy the seller asking too many questions. For this listing, everything was listed as $100, so the strategy I used was to offer $50 plus the cost of shipping for just #4 items (they had already shown me photos of the bottom before I made the deal). So $60 later, and some polishing, here's what I got!

IMG_5187.JPG IMG_5188.JPG IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5196.JPG IMG_5197.JPG IMG_5198.JPG

cxgirl, stracci, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

Pretty sweet. I figured 6 wasn't legit after a second glance, because it's the same pattern as lot of the other pieces and my best hunch is those are all plated. At least one of the three roses pieces was rainbowed out, and we all know what that means by now. Real silver can do that if it's around enough sulphur, but odds are it ain't.

kyratango and MrNate like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

Nice! Maybe because I went to Mexico a lot as a child but I find something very wonderful about the heft and honesty of the silver.

cxgirl, stracci and antidiem like this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Your guess was so accurate, very impressive that you spotted the country of origin based on the style. And I agree 100% about the heft, so nice when a maker doesn't go cheap on the amount used.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

fabulous job of polishing them up Mr Nate:)

you are amazing SIS, I would never have thought Mexico for those pieces:)

Houseful likes this.
  13. antidiem

I hope to learn how to spot silver from silver plate through your postings, @MrNate thanks! ;)

14. antidiem

Hey Nate, #5 has a nice glass casserole dish beneath that lid! ;)

MrNate likes this.
  15. antidiem

What is the Mexican set worth if you were to sell it and what is it worth as scrap silver, please?

16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

You can look up spot value using the last photos since I've put them on a scale. I doubt it will sell for a great deal more than spot, collecting silver isn't a big thing right now from what I see. Some people are in to flatware sets, but unless it's high end or very ornamental, it's hard to get more than spot (just my opinion).

17. antidiem

I don't know what a spot value means or how to look up silver, don't know how to weigh and measure it. I just wondered the approximate worth of the set but certainly not holding your feet to fire about it! ;)

I didn't even realize this set was only good for scraping?

MrNate likes this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

There’s a good calculator here:

https://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/ster_calculator.aspx

Spot price just means the current market value of silver which changes. The scrap value of a silver item is based on its silver purity and the weight of it (weighted silver has to be torn apart to find the value of just the silver). So based on this set weighing approx 600 grams, it has a scrap value of $270.

19. say_it_slowly

I use this calculator to estimate the value as scrap. Spot just means what silver might be selling for on a particular day. I haven't sold any for scrap in awhile (I'm more of a hoarder:rolleyes:).

Basically sterling is only 92.5% silver so the refiner subtracts the 7.5% that isn't pure. Then they pay something for the value of the pure silver. The place I used last charged about 10% so using the calculator you put in the weight (oz, gram etc) and it gives you the value of the actual silver. Then if you want you can subtract the what you'll lose in paying the refiner.

So for me I put in the weight then -10% in the profit/loss to get an idea of scrap value. Not sure it's a perfect value but it gives me an idea. This is what came up on yesterday's spot price of silver using his weight minus refiner's 10% cost so $243.12

https://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/ster_calculator.aspx

upload_2020-5-2_9-53-11.png

MrNate likes this.
  20. evelyb30

I if I were selling something like this, I'd price it at spot plus name value plus design value. If it's just random maker sterling in a plebian design, that equation equals spot plus shipping. Nice stuff goes higher.

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted