Featured Guesses on age of this moonstone pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by quirkygirl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Yellow metal with absolutely no markings to indicate metal content or maker :(

About 2" long, with post-1920's pin back and 7 moonstones and engraved design.

First, I thought it was gold vermeil and of recent make ... but after looking at it for a while, I now think it does have some age ... and may be gold fill or something else.

1) Does this style belong to any period? And do you think it is original to this period, or a later revival of the style?

2) Does it look like this was the original pin mechanism, or could it be a replacement?

3) What's with the tiny 'cracks' or 'seams' along two or three of the corners of the edge of the pin?

4) Am I totally in the wrong ballpark and now the proud owner of a costume brooch?

Sorry for all the photos - I always think that it's difficult enough to see anything from a photo ... so the more, the better.

P1080101.JPG
    close-up of engraving P1080102.JPG
    Back of pin
    P1080103.JPG

little cracks P1080104.JPG P1080106.JPG
    close-ups of pin ends P1080107.JPG P1080108.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The clasp looks like a 30s replacement on a much older piece. A repair is generally a good sign; someone either treasured this, or thought it was worth repairing. it looks like the real deal from here. Victorian gold fill often only looked good from the front. The back is often not even plated.

3. quirkygirl

Thank you, evelyb ... I appreciate that you took the time to wade through my photos and for giving such a thorough answer.

I guess maybe i should get this tested to see what it's made of.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the repairs may have covered something up...?

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think it started out as a pin.
    Notice on the back that the two ends are different. If it were a pin, I would think that the symmetry of the pin would be the same every where.
    As to what it was originally I don't know, but it was well used. Someone treasured enough to make it a pin.

I would put the age at the turn of the century to pre WWI
    Metal is probably gold, but maybe only 10K

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Even if it wasn't a pin at first, where the metal was cut and turned up (called a 'return') it was fused together then smoothed out not leaving much to keep it together at those joints so over time it has flexed and separated at those places.
    If the metal wasn't one piece (probably not with those inside curves, or those 4 alone are separate pieces + the ends) and wasn't a return but a completely separate metal edge then fused to the faceplate, the same issue would arise. Notice how thin or worn the failed areas are.
    All of these methods are possible depending upon the whim and talent of the person who made or modified it.
    Over time, when building things, electric signs in particular, I have found that often it's much better to make things in various pieces instead of endeavoring to make it whole as long as I can hide the joints and depending upon restricting rain/snow melt into it. Even if the sign would be up high...I still know it's the best as possible. :)

cxgirl, dgbjwc and quirkygirl like this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thanks for looking komokwa.

You're right, a stamp could be hidden under the solder .... or any marks could have been on the original pin-bar ... you know, the pointy part with the hinge at one end.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  8. quirkygirl

Thanks for mentioning that clutteredcloset ... I too wondered why one end had a much larger piece of metal supporting the pin ... when it really shouldn't have been necessary for support ... at least from what I can see.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

That end gets the most abuse and so I would have a larger piece there as well...but if that isn't all solid gold I'd probably match it at the other end. :)
    I also meant to say it's very pretty and would wear it on a suit jacket or blazer too. :)

quirkygirl likes this.
  10. quirkygirl

Thanks KoT ... I appreciate your insight as a metal fabricator ... some construction methods are pretty much identical regardless of the metal used, huh? I suppose these seams are just more susceptible to fracture, then.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

You're welcome and thank you for saying so! :)
    Yes. Depending on the material you are using and how malleable or not it happens to be but usually you choose that. Fab is done as appropriate to the item whether this big or enormous for material type, strength needs, cost and time to fab.
    Obviously if solid gold is being used you want to use the least possible but there is obviously a line between quality and potential failure of parts and joints.

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. komokwa

& the softer the gold , the higher the karat , the more easy it is to damage.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was taking another look at this.
    If you look at the bezels around the stones, you will see that they do not fit smooth. An indication that the stones may have been removed, which they would have had to do to solder the back of the pin. Or else risk cracking the stones from the heat.

Also I was looking at the chasing on the front. It might actually be earlier than 1900s. Possibly mid to late 1800s, with the pin back added in the 1900s.

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
  14. komokwa

The chasing looks like cigarette case work from the late 1800's.

quirkygirl likes this.
  15. quirkygirl

Wow! I hadn't even hoped that it may have been as old as the late 1800's ... very cool. I wish I wore yellow metal more often.

16. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Wow I love those stones. How pretty.

17. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really pretty!

Does anyone else see any Western influence? it reminds me of western tooling on belts and buckles. (2 cents)

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the Victorian tooling had an influence on Western design rather than the other way around.

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted