Featured Guidance with research

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drkatherine1, Aug 18, 2021.

1. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

[​IMG]
    My husband inherited a piece of pottery. I have a background in doing research in other areas but not pottery. I have attempted to identify the possible makers of this pot with no luck. I am hoping someone can see something in the photos and give me a starting place. Thank you

2. Peasnquiet

Peasnquiet Well-Known Member

Do you have any photos of the bottom of the piece by chance?

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

4. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Yes I do here is one https://imgur.com/7DsMk0t

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Peasnquiet

Thanks so much! With no obvious makers mark, what is sometimes helpful to me is where the piece originated. For example, what region is it from? You mention that it was inherited - do you have any information about the person it belonged to? Where they were from? Were they a pottery collector or was this a one off item? Being it was included in an inheritance it seems like it would have been seen as something of value - could be value in dollars or in personal importance (made by a family member). Just some thoughts to consider.

7. Peasnquiet

There are folks on here with much more pottery knowledge, but perhaps answers to the above thoughts will help narrow it...

8. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

The person we inherited this from had a house like a museum. I have been able to figure out most of all we were left. There are a few pieces left and I am now starting to research them. Most of the items in the house came from his grandparents estate. They traveled the world extensively but no photos connecting them to this piece. So bottom line we have no idea.

KSW likes this.
  9. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

So it has no flat base? That makes it very difficult for an ameture to help and makes it very unique in my opinion.

10. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Nope no flat bottom. And if I look real close at a couple of the photos you can see how the clay was wound around to make the pot. There is a metal circle that the pot sat in so it would not roll off of the fireplace. That is where it was displayed for years before we inherited it.

11. Tahmoor girl

Are there any markings on the metal circle? Maybe it was made with the pot for that purpose.

KSW likes this.
  12. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

The metal ring is not from the same time period. No markings and I think the man who owned the pot made it himself.

KSW likes this.
  13. Tahmoor girl

Why did he make a pot with no base? Like a cauldron.

KSW likes this.
  14. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Honduras maybe, They made alot of Pots a few hundred years ago when the spanish ruled Honduras as a colony. The indigenous people used to make pots, the ones that survived the european diseases.

15. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

I am sorry I don't understand. Why do who make a pot without a base?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Sorry I reread your post and my post was not clear. The guy who owned the pot made the ring for it to sit in. He didn't make the pot because it looks very old.

Tahmoor girl likes this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

18. Francisco G Kempton

India makes round base Pots for example.
    Honduras also used to make Pots but not sure of the style, Mayan also made round pots. Columbia made pots.
    Botswana make round pots.
    I guess the round base can lead to an answer for someone.

19. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Thank you I will start researching that feature.

20. Francisco G Kempton

Native American Indian a strong candidate in my opinion.

Evolution of native American cooking.jpg antique-native-american-red-clay-round-bottomed-vessel-5401.png antique-native-american-red-clay-round-bottomed-vessel-0953.jpg

Darkwing Manor and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted