Guillemot Bird vase Crystal Etched bird probably Scandinavia Finland Area Who made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180715_184608.jpg 20180715_184626.jpg 20180715_184635.jpg 20180715_184835.jpg 20180715_185131.jpg 20180715_185115.jpg It is signed Guillemot With 2 letters or numbers beautiful vase having a hard time finding similar item. AJ, I think this is in your neck of the woods I could be wrong. I first thought that the artist name was Guillemot but while searching found out it was the name of a bird. Letters or numbers looks like 80 but could initials of artist. Need help from someone knowledgable of this type of glass work. Very beautifully done

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well ya learned sumthing....it is indeed the bird..! :happy:

Christmasjoy, Mugzinnys, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice vase, Mugz.
    I think it could be British or North American, with that name.
    I am in The Netherlands. Many people think it is in Scandinavia, because our way of life is related to that of Scandinavian countries. But we have drifted off to the North Sea coast.;)

In Dutch a guillemot is called zeekoet, not that anyone wanted to know that, but it would have been the Dutch name for the design.

Christmasjoy, Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Caithness, by the look of it. Have a look on the Scotland's Glass website.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My first thought was Caithness as well, so far I haven't found one with a guillemot engraving.

Christmasjoy, Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  6. Mugzinnys

20180715_184906.jpg Good morning I will look at Scotland's website obb and Caithness glass. The next time I comment on that part of Europe I will pull up a google's map first. Thank AJ, OBB and Komokwa. I should have posted an image if the top of the vase last night 20180715_184906.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. Mugzinnys

20180716_082623.jpg Bottom of vase

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Typical Caithness engraver signature. Not all their pieces were signed Caithness: many had labels, with just the design name and a date on the base.

You may well not find this design on line. They did many hundreds of engraved designs, some as almost one offs. The spatter glass, colour and overall look are spot on.

It's an oil burner, rather than a vase.

9. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

10. Ownedbybear

It's probably worth posting it on the Facebook Caithness Glass page. There's several former staff on it.

judy, Mugzinnys and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Thanks for that link That will keep me busy for awhile

12. Mugzinnys

Posted to Facebook

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Mugzinnys

Good nite all

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted