Guiseppe Pagano Photograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 4, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

B27CC321-F735-4666-9627-88CC41DE7228.jpeg DC7E3CA0-8F95-417F-8B5F-DB13F467FC6A.jpeg 98F7D9D8-86BB-4B9A-B49A-3628330300B6.jpeg There was an Italian designer by the name of Guiseppe Pagano who also was an amateur photographer but from what I found out his photos were with architectural subjects.
    Could it be the same person or someone else?

aaroncab and antidiem like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I say someone else. Didn't Pagano wear glasses? Or maybe I'm thinking of some else..........

3. kardinalisimo

I meant if he was the one who took the photo.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry.

5. kardinalisimo

The newpaper article is titled “
    il calcio europeo
    una partita terribile quadro l'Uruguay
    che già sogna le finale“
    google translation is:
    European football
    a terrible match against Uruguay
    who already dreams of the finals

Wonder if we can figure the event and the year it happened. What Uruguay has to do with European soccer? Did they play against Italy? World Cup maybe?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Uruguay defeated Italy 1-0 in Group D play in the 2014 World Cup. It hurts too much to mention Uruguay's result against England, but suffice to say both European clubs were eliminated while Uruguay advanced to the round of 16.

We'd have to do some more research to find the result of earlier matches between Italy and Uruguay...

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

8. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

Giuseppe Pagano ( the designer) died in 1945 in a Nazi concentration camp. The newspaper in the photo appears to be modern. He was 49.

9. BaseballGames

Yeah, definitely not the murdered architect. Not an uncommon name. There are 169 Giuseppe Paganos just on LinkedIn.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The architect was Giuseppe Pagano, the photographer is Giusseppe Pagano, double s.
    Whoever took it, it is a very nice photograph.

i need help, Figtree3 and CheersDears like this.
  11. BaseballGames

Shows how little we know. Here we'd been thinking "Giusseppe Pagano ~ Newspaper Vendor" was the title and the subject of the photo, and "Fucecchio" was the photographer. Presumably, then, the photo was merely shot in Fucecchio. It's a fine work of portraiture, odd that we can't find anything about the artist...

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good eye, AJ!

There is possibly a mistake on the printed caption, though. That spelling is unusual. On the other hand, people purposely spell their childrens' names in unusual ways all the time. I think that is a more modern trend, though.

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That is a fabulous photograph! And Gius(s)eppe, who is holding a whole bunch of newspapers, can (if he is the seller), can call himself Fred Mertz if he likes! :)

14. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the location on the photo when I posted earlier, but I don't see how to delete it, so I am overwriting it.

I did, however, find many two-s Guisseppe Paganos

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's either a copy of an Irving Penn work (possibly from his 'Small Trades' series) or a work by a photographer heavily inspired by Penn.

Debora

Small Trades.jpg

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found some that were obvious typos for the architect's name, and also some people on Radaris and similar sites that said it was an alternate spelling for the person's name... and also found a couple of instances where it was the person's middle name spelled with the double "s" -- but nothing that fits this discussion. -- So if you do find something, please give info! I know you are a good researcher.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. kardinalisimo

527738F8-4AA6-43AB-8DB6-19B486C83CA9.jpeg 570A9054-8C9D-421A-8338-8C0221BBB2D9.jpeg 56AB9211-1A4B-4E29-B1BF-9289A8E61BBF.jpeg Took it out of the frame to look for more clues. No printed text. Can’t check the back as the photo/print? is laid over. So, go figure who and when.

18. BaseballGames

Debora certainly nailed the look and style of the photo, but after searching and seeing hundreds of thematically similar Penn images, we haven't found a single match to kardinalisimo's pic...
    If it is a Penn photograph, then going by the all-time Italy-Uruguay results posted above, it would probably be a 1981 study, since Penn died in 2009 and the footie results for Gli Azzurri were not that awful between the '81 defeat and Penn's passing...

curiouslycurious likes this.
  19. kardinalisimo

I wish it was by Penn but if it was, there would have been a notation on the mat probably.

curiouslycurious likes this.
  20. curiouslycurious

curiouslycurious New Member

hello i just found this post years later and can share what i know as i own this photo too! I have others from this photographer, the name on the print appears to be the name of the subject, not the photographer because the other photos I have feature different names, with different job titles and different locations but they're all the same style. I've been searching everywhere and I cannot find any information about the photographer or any other information about these photos. What I can tell you is that my father purchased these photos at an auction in the USA sometime in the 80s-90s maybe, he purchased them with his mother and they both have passed away since. I was born in 1994 and as far back as I can remember, these photos were kept underneath my bed until around age 12. I was fascinated by them yet knew nothing about them, and what little bit I have discovered leaves more questions. The fact that I can't find any information online aside from this one single post, completely frustrates me haha

Anyways, as referenced above I looked up the artist Irving Penn, and I don't think its his work. The style is similar but completely different at the same time. If there is any interest after all this time, I will upload the photos that I have!

Draft saved Draft deleted