Featured Guys need help in identifying this? and its period

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mariyan perera, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

Guys need help in identifying this? its period and value? Also is there a mark at the bottom of the jar or some letters?
    20180831_145733.jpg 20180831_145748.jpg 20180831_145824.jpg 20180831_145802.jpg 20180831_145815.jpg 20180831_145739.jpg

2. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

Are these probably Chinese characters I marked in the box? 20180831_145824.jpg

3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, I blieve this is a Chinese ginger jar, 19th - early 20th c. Examples like yours with this glaze are often called "Korean", but I think that is wrong (but sells better). I cannot help reading the maker's mark unfortunately. Value should be not too big because of the large crack, and these jars are quite common.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Mat on origin, period and crack. This is called Chinese provincial ware. The crack is a problem.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the form could well be a Korean kimchi pot. family names are still written in Chinese script.
    but in all honesty - who would buy such a pot with that crack ???

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

People who don't care for kimchi, but have a very nice Mother-in-law's Tongue looking for a home. :)

Ratsy Brown, SBSVC and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I agree with Mat and AJ. A commercial pot for selling produce (possible ginger) and sealed with a cork stopper. Shame about the crack, but would work in a collection.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Except a collector wouldn't buy something with a crack in it, especially when there are still so many undamaged ones to be found. Often older too.

10. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted