HALF HULL BOAT MODEL SAME AS 1 IN NAVAL HISTORY & HERITAGE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 27, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Here is my find today from my daily thrift store treasure hunting. I know that it's a Half Hull Model. I also know that it's a good one - being large (45.5" long x 10" high) and made of wood (instead of plastic).
    Googling the name 'Iron Ship Topaz' brought only 1 example - it is 1 of 9 different half hull models in the Naval History & Heritage Command! And the center says there is almost nothing known about the boat (ship?).
    https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...lf-hull-models/half-hull-model-display-9.html
    My question - Would the navy make large models of their models for the public? (especially when they have only 10 (this is #9) and this one they know nothing about: https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/exhibits/half-hull-models.html

But it's size & weight/sturdiness make me think this may be a professional model - and if it is a professional model then it has to be worth something?!

Does anyone know anything about this half hull?
    Why would the navy have 1 of only 10 models be one that they admit nothing is known about it?!
    Anyone know about Allied - a sticker on back of the model? (nothing about nautical marine models came up)

Thanks, as always I appreciate any help.

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BOAT HALF MODEL TROPAZ 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BOAT HALF MODEL TROPAZ 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BOAT HALF MODEL TROPAZ 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BOAT HALF MODEL TROPAZ 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BOAT HALF MODEL TROPAZ 4AAA.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's an Allied Van Lines moving sticker. Some prior owner moved and this was part of the shipment. I doubt it means anything.

How do you know this is #9?

EDIT - now that I read the link, I see what you mean about #9. But it clearly says "decorative half model" which implies to me that they didn't have anything to do with it's creation.

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And I sincerely doubt, since they have one and you have one, there are more out there. Professionally done, for sure, but it's by no means some important artifact.

judy likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$49.00

judy likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thanks - wow only $49!

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think "REGD Fowey" might mean it was registered as "Fowey"......did you look that up Journey????

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yeah, but it looked in pretty darn tough shape too!!!!

judy likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

I did look for Regd Fowey as written but nothing

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  10. journeymagazine

It sold in 1 night on eBay - $125 + 3i shipping!

Draft saved Draft deleted