Featured Hall Tree help needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elizabeth P, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Elizabeth P

Elizabeth P New Member

Good morning everyone! I am so excited to have found this website while researching a Victrola. 20170626_123723.jpg I am helping my mom sell a lot of her antiques and furniture right now so she can downsize her home. 10 years after losing my dad she is finally ready to move into a smaller, maintenance free condo. We have a hall tree that is very ornate. I haven't been able to find anything similar online so far..ANY information anyone has on the piece or how to proceed with selling it would be amazing. One spindle at the top is missing. 20170626_123715.jpg
    thank you!

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the woman in the design is Terpsichore (Muse of music and dance). Looks to be 1880s. Wait until the experts show up for more details.
    greg

Any Jewelry, judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    GREAT photos!
    You will surely be asked for more especially the back and of any labels and/or marks.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Elizabeth!!! NICE job on your images!!! That's sometimes a difficult area for new members....ask away...there are plenty of member with expertise in a VAST accumulation of areas!!!! :):):)

Any Jewelry, judy and KingofThings like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A stunning piece indeed ! Is the big medallion metal of some sort ? Unfortunately,furniture like this is going begging,but this piece does have a "presence" wich may help it. There are many places now to sell online (craigslist,Let Go,etc) you could always post an ad and see what happens. Just use due diligence,there are lots of scammers and thieves in the world. NEVER have them come to your home. Have you thought of an estate sale ? Its a quick way to move it all at once.

6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

That is one gorgeous hall piece!!!! Selling that will depend on location ie big city = online ad services listed above, Rural areas will be tougher.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1890 aesthetic movement piece. As others have mentioned, selling can become problematic if in rural areas where there is little demand for such. Craigslist seems to be the venue of choice for larger items but it may depend on where you are. I have had no luck with it in my semi-rural area for antiques despite it being quite active for other things. Ebay can work for larger items with pick-up only if you are in or near a large metro area. Someone also mentioned local facebook selling groups but I have not looked in to them. You might also consider a consignment shop (they will likely take 50%) or sending to auction (usually take 25% and you assume more risk).

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That is one knock out hall tree.
    No one in the family wants it?

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted