Featured Hall Tree/Umbrella Stand?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Hello Fine Folks!

First off let me apologize for the shrink wrap in these photos!

I was wondering if anyone had any thought and/or insight on this one. There’s a brass “vessel” for the umbrella tips to go into and a marble/alabaster square tile that fits in above, to the left of the seat. The whole ordeal is extremely wobbly and loose atm. She definitely needs a lot of love.

Thanks Folks!
    9B99EE44-4857-4004-B05C-9B8BBAA9E213.jpeg 1DBE23E7-74EE-42EF-B975-42CB814E79DC.jpeg 91BD5835-C2A0-443A-BA35-9E0E8D0B7B22.jpeg 6B375182-7D7F-49F9-B46D-7C897A487A48.jpeg B54106D0-2D63-4213-B9C9-82D41621EBDE.jpeg BFD5EB21-98AE-439E-B691-76FD27DA9A4D.jpeg 6B3C7DDD-88F0-43EC-9FB9-41BFFAB522EA.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that unusual?

Debora

Shwikman likes this.
  3. Shwikman

It’s came from a Dutch woman who gave my stepdad piano lessons in the 40’s.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Is it half of a bigger piece?

Fid and Shwikman like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice....luv the woodwork !

pearlsnblume and Shwikman like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

C. 1890 Aesthetic period. Nice example.

7. Shwikman

I don’t believe that it is.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Shwikman

That makes sense, thank you. Any thoughts on country of origin?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Beautiful!!!

Shwikman likes this.
  10. verybrad

Best guess would be England. The stippled background to the carving is pretty typical for there for this era.

Boland and Shwikman like this.
  11. Shwikman

Thank You @verybrad for the info and thanks to everyone for the comments! This poor thing hasn’t been a functioning piece of furniture since I’ve known it(80’s)…there may have been a hat or scarf hung on it from time to time but nobody ever dared sit on it. It is supposed to go to a step-brother, I have a feeling he may not want it. Question: if he turns it down is this piece worth professionally “re-gluing” from a monetary standpoint? I’m thinking I’d probably sell it but it’s SO fragile, and precarious with the glasswork anyway, plus the leather work is pretty much shot….this seems like the type of thing that would be very expensive to “restore” and take a long time to sell.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it was born here. Yes on the stipples, but the motifs aren't ours.

13. Shwikman

The woman was Dutch, came to the US around 1900 and was supposedly fairly affluent(for the time and area, Central California). My stepfather who was her piano pupil seemed to think she brought it with her but I’m sure it could’ve come from anywhere at any point.

14. verybrad

Could very well be American. The stippling is not unheard of for here, just not as common. I think it would be worth working on to make it more stable. Shouldn't need that much and would think you could do it yourself. Probably not worth sending out. There was a time when this was easily a $1500 piece. Now you would be lucky to get half.

Shwikman likes this.
  15. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It could be as late as teens. Every respectable turn of the century house (and certainly the others, though theirs were bigger) had to have one. Most likely continental but not necessarily. Could be American. Heck, I've seen similar pieces locally made here in South America. Not your top quality carving, though rather good. Have it re-glued and those ugly screws removed (everything else looks great, so shouldn't be that expensive). Replace the leather if it's for using it, keep it original if you're selling it. Very nice.

Shwikman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted