Hallmark I.D. help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Analyse Jessica, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Analyse Jessica

Analyse Jessica New Member

Hi all, New here! Be gentle please.
    I have, what I believe to be a cultured pearl bracelet. the pearls are nice and gritty, and when help up the the light I can see something uniform in size inside them. I have no idea if that info is even relevant.

The bracelet has a silver silver clasp that's stamped "925". Above the number are two marks that I've.yet to decipher, and to the right of the 925 stamp is what looks like a sideways V. I've searched high and low until my eyes have crossed (many of nights), and looked at what has to be millions of images by now to no avail. I'm hoping someone or someone's can look with a fresh set of eyes, and help me identify what I'm seeing, and maybe even know what the marks mean.

Thank you ahead of time.

P. S. I tried getting different angles, and played with the light a little so you can see all the marks. IMG_20191023_004425.jpg IMG_20191023_004408.jpg IMG_20191023_004326.jpg IMG_20191023_004425.jpg IMG_20191023_004408.jpg IMG_20191023_004350.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The box clasp was probably made by a findings supplier in China and you could probably search for a year or more and never find the name of the maker. It's doubtful the clasp has anything to due with whoever strung the pearls.

Analyse Jessica, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Analyse Jessica

Thank you.
    The marks above the numbers look like they were added at a different time than the 925 and wonky v. Idk if that makes a difference.
    Thank you again for your input.
    Now that I've found this site I can tell I'm going to be using it a lot!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a nice bracelet...

kyratango, Analyse Jessica and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jessica.
    Pretty bracelet. I'm with Holly, most likely the mark of the findings manufacturer. A common feature of a lot of recent Chinese jewellery. The pearls are cultured freshwater and nicely matched.

A little on hallmarks, those are assay marks by an official organisation. They used to be punched in silver/goldsmiths' guild halls, hence the name. Nowadays they are punched in government assay offices, after thorough testing of the metal.
    Not every country has such an assay system (yet), for example China and the US don't.
    When marks are punched by makers, they are called maker's marks. In some countries makers also punch fineness marks. In those cases it is advised to test the fineness yourself, or have it tested, if you want to be sure it actually is the fineness of the mark.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  6. Analyse Jessica

You guys are awesome. Thank you much. I always test even when it's stamped, if I'm going to sell the item.

But I absolutely love this bracelet, and wouldn't part with it.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Isn't that a Silpada mark?

Draft saved Draft deleted