Hallmarks fleur de lis, eagle and more?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by say_it_slowly, Jun 10, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have a rather plain set of small tongs with marks I haven't found yet. It is marked in two places with 925/1000 (?) Sterling and in one place with the fleur de lis(?) and eagle(?) I can't make out the symbol next to Sterling. Any thoughts? Appreciate it.
    sterling unknown mark 1.jpg sterling unknown mark 2.jpg sterling unknown mark 3.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Towle Silversmiths had a fleur de lis and eagle mark. Their Lion rampant inside a script capital T (lying on its side in comparison to the other parts of the mark) is often worn which might explain the rest.

3. Bakersgma

4. Bakersgma

Ah. Here we go. Rainwater notes that the fleur de lis and eagle mark was used on a line Towle called La Fayette Silverware.

afantiques likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I had heard confusing references to Towle but hadn't found any marks online like this so didn't know what to think. Thanks to you and your excellent skills I did find it now and the Fleur de lis sort of makes sense. It is small tongs from Towle La Fayette and I found a catalog page showing the piece and marks. Can't get much better than that! Thanks so much! Towle Lafayette catalog sugar tongs 1913.jpg

6. Bakersgma

You're very welcome!

Draft saved Draft deleted