Hallmarks fleur de lis, eagle and more?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by say_it_slowly, Jun 10, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have a rather plain set of small tongs with marks I haven't found yet. It is marked in two places with 925/1000 (?) Sterling and in one place with the fleur de lis(?) and eagle(?) I can't make out the symbol next to Sterling. Any thoughts? Appreciate it.
    sterling unknown mark 1.jpg sterling unknown mark 2.jpg sterling unknown mark 3.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Towle Silversmiths had a fleur de lis and eagle mark. Their Lion rampant inside a script capital T (lying on its side in comparison to the other parts of the mark) is often worn which might explain the rest.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

4. Bakersgma

Ah. Here we go. Rainwater notes that the fleur de lis and eagle mark was used on a line Towle called La Fayette Silverware.

Christmasjoy, judy and afantiques like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I had heard confusing references to Towle but hadn't found any marks online like this so didn't know what to think. Thanks to you and your excellent skills I did find it now and the Fleur de lis sort of makes sense. It is small tongs from Towle La Fayette and I found a catalog page showing the piece and marks. Can't get much better than that! Thanks so much! Towle Lafayette catalog sugar tongs 1913.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. Bakersgma

You're very welcome!

7. Mary F

Mary F New Member

Just inherited a 6-piece set of sterling. At one end on the back of the handle are the tiny fleur de lis and what looks like a bird. At the other end, it says "sterling" and to the left o that two tiny squares which I can't make out. The front is monogrammed with the first initial of my last name. Any help welcome.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Mary !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted