Hammered copper mini bowl mark?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Nov 23, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This came from a recent auction. Many things came from a very nice estate with Roycroft copper and lots of nice things. This was in a box lot along with a copper/bronze Russian tyg and while not in good shape I'm curious about the mark. I did look at this great site but didn't see it or missed it.

http://www.oldcopper.org/list.htm

The mark is worn but looks like a vase or bird with A S. There are also some zig-zag marks but they don't seem to say anything. It's only 3¼" diameter with three ball feet that look soldered on.
    copper as bowl 3.jpg copper as bowl mark 2.jpg copper as bowl.jpg copper as mark.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    aaroncab and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't recognize the mark, though I have seen it before. My guess would be South or Central American with those ball feet. The zig zags are often found on silver where the assay office has tested purity. Not sure why they would be on copper.

judy likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I haven't had any luck on IDing this mark either. There is much more than AS and that bird whatever to this mark. The bird thingy almost looks like a spread wing eagle handled bell. There appears to be more to the mark left of the "A" if that is an A. I have tried editing the mark pic in hopes of clearing it up with no luck. Am including an inverted, negative, version of the mark in hopes someone else can make it out. I, like Brad, am surprised to see Zigzag assay testing marks on copper. This is a first for me.

--- Susan

image.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The only thing I can think of was they were "assaying" to see if it was copper or bronze?
    Greg

judy likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Yeah, I've been pretty fascinated by this little bowl, cheap entertainment I guess:D. I'm sure there was or should have been more of the mark but it's very small and either very worn or poorly impressed. I actually don't know how to tell if it's copper or bronze either. mark.jpg

judy likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

This is the mark from one of the other pieces in the lot. I've been trying to see if the AS mark could be a winged two headed eagle also. I might just be seeing things. (not the first time). copper russian mark.jpg

judy likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

S_I_S, You probably know that the last mark includes letters in the Cyrillic alphabet, and may be Russian -- Imperial Russia used the double-headed eagle. This would be from the pre-Soviet period. I have tried to google the Russian letters and haven't found anything. The letters look like ФВъТУЛІь

The letters AS on the previous one are not Cyrillic, since Cyrillic doesn't have a letter that looks like S. However, I believe some Russian-made items do have letters in the Roman alphabet on the marks.

judy likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

The second item mark I have been assuming is Russian but I didn't have much luck using google translator so I'll have to get to working on that eventually I guess. I also was thinking AS didn't really fit a Russian alphabet and so I've been trying to find another two headed eagle mark. I think some Dutch city marks use two headed eagles but I'm not sure about much of anything.

Here are a couple photo of the Russian piece. It looks mostly like brass but there is copper color showing in spots so I've no idea what it is, bronze, brass, copper alloy?

This auction included an estate that had lots of things seeming to date 1890-1920 ish.

1.jpg 2.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne New Member

Did you ever identify this maker? I have a similar pot with the identical stamp.

judy likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

I'm assuming you mean the AS mark on the first piece. I never continued looking for it so I still don't know. If you find it I'd love to know.

The sad part of the story is that the auction house that I loved and where I found these has mostly stopped doing in-house auctions and is doing the online bidding kind:(. I'm not a fan.:inpain:

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Janice Jones

Janice Jones New Member

12. Janice Jones

Janice Jones New Member

I have been trying to find that so-called eagle mark. Any luck?

judy likes this.
  13. Bob9966

Bob9966 New Member

I have the same lettering (ФВъТУЛІь) and possibly the eagle. It's on a copper teapot/samovar and is a bit worn so it's hard to tell...

Any luck finding out about the maker?

14. Bob9966

Bob9966 New Member

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I am not sure, but the last 4 letters on the mark might indicate it was made in Tula, a city where a lot of these sorts of coffee and tea objects were made. But I'm not sure because it all looks like one word and I am not sure what the first part would be.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted