Hand blown clear glass basket with swing handle - anyone know who dunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, May 29, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This piece is 8 3/8" to the top of the handle, 4 3/4" to the side edge, 7 1/4" across the top & 4 1/2" across the bottom. The sides have a somewhat optic quality. The loops that hold the swing handle are hand-applied & the pontil has been smoothed to a slight depression that is 1 5/8" across.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

judy likes this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Opinion...

Its a whimsy, made for a wife, or lady friend. Not a production item, could have been made by any skilled glass worker in any factory using clear glass. (not window glass)

judy, Ce BCA, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Certainly could be, or a preserve dish, all kind of oddities were made in the 19th C. Another possibility is a sweetmeat basket from a centerpiece, there were some large glass 'trees' made by glass companies like Oslers which had branches from which sweetmeat baskets were hung.

judy and Tanya like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'd want to establish when wide optic became common before I date the piece. I don't think (my opinion) that optics were much used before 1910, at least in blown wares.

judy and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted