Featured Hand Carved Battling Lions Statue

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Joe Q, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Joe Q

Joe Q New Member

DSCN0817.JPG Found this in a relative's house clearance & unfortunately know nothing about it. Appears to be hand carved from one piece of wood - if anyone has information it would be appreciated

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to th Forum, Joe Q!
    Maybe indicate measurements, and include more photos, including the bottom, markings, or initials. Please check box that says Full size for all images on photos. :)

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    If you go back to edit and click Full Image, people on cell phones will be able to see your picture.

What kind of material is it? Looks metal, but you say carved.
    Can you take a picture of the bottom please. Click Full Image after loading.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Joe Q

Joe Q New Member

Yeah it is wood although I've no idea what type, its 14" high & about 10" wide - quite heavy maybe 3-4 kgs DSCN0823.JPG

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Joe.
    I seem to remember similar realistic animal sculptures were made in South Africa.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

65037CEC-8046-4362-9488-C9F7B4BC0DC4.jpeg A9CF46B2-E034-4D6B-9B37-9852E0C6E7B4.jpeg
    These are from Zimbabwe made of ironwood. Seeing other woods including Teak and olive, also other areas of Africa.
    @Any Jewelry, You are Amazing!

7. Joe Q

Joe Q New Member

Yeah this does make sense, they did travel a lot but not in the last 20 years so it might be old(ish), certainly quite a few man hours have been put into it

Draft saved Draft deleted