Hand Carved Figural Bookends: Vintage or Antique?? Possible Maker?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elaine Pawlikowski, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Elaine Pawlikowski

Elaine Pawlikowski New Member

DSC_0281 (2) smaller.jpg DSC_0288 (2) smaller.jpg DSC_0264 (2) smaller.jpg DSC_0293 (2) smaller.jpg Hello! I am new here, and hope to solve the mystery of these vintage hand carved wood bookends! Have searched for months but cannot find a similar set. Please chime in if you have opinions as to the age or possible maker -- or any other thoughts!!

The bookends are 14 inches tall.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Little more polished and stylized but have seen similar figures from Mexico/South America. Maybe a place to start.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    If you go back to your post, the Edit button should still be showing(disappears after a while).
    Click Edit, More Option, Full Image. You want people using phones to be able to see your pictures.
    upload_2020-4-18_8-39-51.png

They certainly have a Mexican look to them.
    It's possible these were hand crafted and not commercially sold.
    Just guessing at this. Very nice.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

6. Elaine Pawlikowski

Hi Flipper! Thanks for your input! Yes, I have seen virtually hundreds of the sitting/napping Mexican bookends, but none standing. And done lots of searching re Mexico, but not South America! I will give that a shot! All the best!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Elaine Pawlikowski

Hi CultteredCloset! Highly possible they may be handcrafted. Thanks for the suggestion~

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Elaine Pawlikowski

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Elaine Pawlikowski

Hi again ClutteredCloset~ Thank you so much re editing my post so people using phone could see the pictures. I tried what you suggested ... went back to my post, clicked Edit, More Options ... but then could not find anything to choose which said 'Full Image'. Will keep trying. Learning here, and will keep trying.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Think you meant Very Brad, not flipper.

flipper likes this.
  11. Elaine Pawlikowski

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. Learning curve ...

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can always see the thumbnail images with my phone. Not sure why some people can't? All you have to do is touch an image and it enlarges.

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted