Hand Carved? Hand Painted? Wood Sleigh, Huge

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shooter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

My parents have had this laying around for about 20 years now. They purchased if from someone who had acquired it from an estate cleaning.

Anyway, here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It appears to be hand carved and hand painted, as there are brush and tool marks throughout. The skis are made of wood, and wrapped in steel, so I doubt this was ever meant to be used as an actual sleigh. I included the gallon jug in the first picture as a size reference. There are absolutely no dates, signatures or other identifying marks than I can find.

I have no idea if it is valuable or even old, but it sure is cool.

If anyone knows anything about this, or has seen something similar it would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like a child's sleigh - IF original, possibly intended to be harnessed to a dog, goat, etc. Had a similar one many years ago - pulled by a goat.

I am not qualified to comment on the age, but others will be along soon.

PS In the event I haven't said it elsewhere, Welcome to the forum!

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Many of us won't go to links. You can make your photos 480x640 and use the FULL IMAGE button with up to 10 per post.
    Thank you. :)

4. shooter

shooter New Member

I added image tags. which is effectively the same as clicking (sorry I'm a web dev by day I had to say that) but I understand being wary of links from new accounts.

Thanks!!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Thank you. :)
    FABULOUS photos and sleigh as well!

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I suspect this is not particularly old. The quality of the carving, painting, and general execution looks off to me. For lack of a better descriptor, the whole think looks rather clunky to me. Still an amazing thing that many would want for a Christmas display.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, it certainly is intriguing and unusual, that someone put a LOT of time in making!!!!! I don't get a feel of help from the carved figures or the painted figure - interesting!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see fantasy piece. I see Asia (especially figure head carving.) A quick internet image search brings up a number of these along with examples of genuine Victorian sleds. Sleds are built for speed, after all -- and they get rough usage (especially the runners.)

http://www.sovereignandregents.com/child's_sleigh.htm

Debora

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Decoratively speaking,its a fantastic piece.it would sell on those merits alone.The one in Deborah's link sure has a lot of similar features to OP's,makes one wonder if theirs is as old as they think.Im probably way wrong,but I think its an older piece.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it were priced as a fantasy piece. These have Indonesia written all over them. The double-height runner bars alone indicate they're decorative, not functional. Slapdash carving and painting for maximum impact but not quality one would expect to find on genuine antique.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I agree with Debora...........

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

If you google repro antique child's sled you will find a few examples resembling yours.

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

In the 1980s just after Carousel horses were the rage, there was an influx of decorator items such as your. I think it continued well into the 90s. I think that is what you have. It would be good for doll collectors, Christmas decor etc.

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted