HAND CARVED WOOD BUDDHA SHRINE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is another piece I found at the thrift store - it is carved from 1 piece of wood & has a candle holder set to illuminate the face.
    It's a really cool piece!
    What is it - a potable shrine?
    How old?
    Real or a tourist piece?
    Finally; any value (I've never seen anything like it!)?
    Thanks all; I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA HAND CARVED SHRINE WITH CANDLE HOLDER 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA HAND CARVED SHRINE WITH CANDLE HOLDER 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA HAND CARVED SHRINE WITH CANDLE HOLDER 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA HAND CARVED SHRINE WITH CANDLE HOLDER 5AA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a carving of the Hindu deity Vishnu, made in Rajasthan, NW India, for export. It was made any time between 1980 and now.
    One of the attributes of Vishnu is the disc or wheel shape, seen here by his upper right hand.
    It was never meant as a shrine, but purely as Western home decoration.

It was given what I call the shoe polish treatment, after an Indonesian 'aging technique'. In the 1950s craftspeople in Java, Indonesia began to rub shoe polish on woodcarvings to make them look older. Most of the polish was rubbed of, but some remained in the cuts and grooves.
    Genuine old pieces never look that way.

I have no idea of the value, but I am sure you can google that. These carvings are still popular for home decoration.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    judy likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you as always Any Jewelry!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted