Featured Hand carved wood candle holders? lamps? w/ hurricane shades

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, May 2, 2023.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked up these hand-carved candle holders or possible lamps at the GW a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were a pair originally but the shades are different while the bases look the same & the shades are also not interchangeable.

The one has some type of metal piece inside the base but I don't see anything in the other one. That metal piece is what made me think they could be possibly used as lamps because quite frankly a burning candle inside the wood shade did not make much sense. :eek::confused::confused:

They are 18" & 17" tall to the tops of the shades. They are also heavy weighing 4 lbs. 3 oz. & 4 lbs. & the most weight being in the solid bases.

Any ideas as to where these pieces might have originated? What kind of wood was used & when these might have been made?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

Figtree3, Born2it, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like it was meant to be wired to me.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    And it looks resin to me, bubble holes and blobs in the 'carving'.:sorry::bag:

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting... with those shades, they would give off an odd sort of light effect. Too bad we can't see how they look when lighted.

bercrystal likes this.
  5. bercrystal

I took some more close-up photos of these pieces. The interior of the shades & the bases do not look like any resin pieces I have ever seen. :confused::confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At first, I thought this was an oops but I think the notch was for the electrical cord.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I believe I see knots in this photo.
    [​IMG]

The next 2 photos show a break in the design of the shade.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

komokwa, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Thanks for those, and you're right, that is definitely wood.:shame::):kiss:

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  7. bercrystal

I could see why you thought resin but I think the bubbles & globs might be the varnish? that was applied to the surface. I don't think these were made by skilled artists but by talented woodworkers for a tourist-type market.

I was thinking possibly of Central America, South America, or possibly an Indonesian country. :confused::confused:

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Not Indonesia, but Latin America is a possibility.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted