Featured Hand carved? wooden figurine of dove vs. pigeon - need some help please.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I got this wood figurine at the auction a few weeks ago, but I need some help please. It is fairly light weight at 10 ounces & is 9 1/2" to the top of the head.

I hope someone can help with what kind of wood this might be & if they possibly recognize the work. It has initials on the bottom ?HB, so there is always the possibility it is the work of some guy sitting on his front porch whittling. :confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

She is a beautiful dove!

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

REALLY LOVE IT !!! .. Joy.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. bercrystal

Thank you ladies!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I have a swan that is done in a similar type wood & style, but it has different initials on the bottom. :confused::confused::confused:

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Has the stance of a pigeon - dove beaks are slightly smaller/thinner. But it may just be artistic expression.

[​IMG]

Bronwen, Diggummup and SBSVC like this.
  8. bercrystal

Thanks guys!! :happy::happy::happy:

Definitely looks like the same carver as far as style. The wood has either been stained or he works with different woods. :confused::confused:

Here is the swan I got also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Here's a bird carved from Cypress wood - may be the same material?

[​IMG]

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Pigeon' is French for 'dove'. Not sure you're going to be able to distinguish. You could go with mourning dove:

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I can't I'd the wood; some kind of hardwood without an obvious grain pattern; could be a lot of possibilities...alder, a plain piece of maple; and many others.

12. bercrystal

Thanks guys!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I think they are just going to have to be listed hand carved wood swan / dove or pigeon. :p:p:p

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Our mourning doves have longer tails that city pigeons.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They look like Brasstown Carvers pieces. The first piece is probably a rock dove/rock pigeon, and believe it was carved by Hope Brown - didn't find one by her, but the link below shows one in buckeye by her husband that is only described as, "large bird". Haven't seen the 'D D' mark on the swan before, but it might turn up with some research - my Mom has a swan by Ethel Hogsed without a base, think yours is nicer...

http://wcudigitalcollection.cdmhost.com/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4008coll2/id/3921/rec/37

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  15. bercrystal

Cheryl - You are amazing!!! :happy::happy::happy:

She knows here silver & now we find out she knows about wood. ;) :playful::playful::playful:

These may have been found by the right people without this ID, but I stand a better chance with it now. :D:D:D:D

Thank you so much!!! :kiss::kiss:

16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and all_fakes like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Oops, I misread the description - the goose was carved by Glenn, but the 'large bird' was actually carved by Hope.

There were a lot of carvers over the years, and they used a variety of woods, this one and the swan might both be buckeye wood like the ones shown in link, but there are other light woods, basswood, butternut, etc. - they usually used fairly fine-grained woods to get that nice smooth finish...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Hoyt, our son, does beautiful carvings too'

Another HB.

19. bercrystal

Rayo - Thanks for that link!! :kiss::kiss:

They list a carver Dexter Dockery, so that could be a possibility for the DD on the swan. :happy::happy:

Thanks for pointing that out Bronwen!! :kiss::kiss:

I read that but did not even make that connection. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Have you got any you could show us Bronwen ? ... Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted