Hand-carved wooden statues

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Avayah0501, Jan 7, 2021.

?

Origins and value

1. Any

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Info

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Avayah0501

Avayah0501 New Member

Was hoping to find out I could about the Statue and value that it might hold

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Avayah. Yours statue is from Bali, Indonesia. She represents a Djanger or Janger dancer. The pictures are very dark, making it difficult to say anything about her age.
    Full image, so everyone can see.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    judy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Avayah, thanks for the extra photos, I found them in my inbox.
    I must say, she is a beauty when you see more detail. It is difficult to pinpoint an age, but I would say post-1970, and possibly a few decades later.
    Perfect condition, by the look of it. She is not from the period collectors are looking for, but she is good quality, with a very pretty face, that helps a lot.

You can google something like 'Bali carved Djanger dancer' or 'Bali carved Janger dancer' to find comparable items and prices. Most Djanger dancers would be much older than yours, from the collectible period, that is something you'll have to take into account.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    i need help, Potteryplease and judy like this.
  4. Avayah0501

Avayah0501 New Member

20201208_185341~2.jpg do you have any cops are input or information on this piece it is very heavy wood 20201208_185341~2.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

It is Balinese too and ca 1930s-40s.
    It depicts monkey God Hanuman and Naga in a scene from the Hindu epic Ramayana. Naga is a typical Indonesian mythical snake/dragon mix.

The story is as follows:
    King Rama's wife Sita had been abducted by the demon king Ravanna. Hanuman was the loyal friend of king Rama, and he said he would free the fair Sita.
    The Gods decided to test Hanuman before his quest to see if he was up to the job. Naga was sent by the Gods to test him. Your statue depicts the test.
    When Hanuman proved worthy of his task, the Gods allowed him to continue.
    Sadly Hanuman lost his life during his quest, but in the end Sita was freed and returned to her husband.

It was carved in a village named Djati or Jati, which simply means teak, where they made mostly religious subjects, all in this style. The reason for mainly religious subjects was because it is considered a sacred place, because the first Hindu priest in Bali is said to have settled in Djati.

Potteryplease and i need help like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yours and mine look quite similar...but from a different wood, and a different age..

IMG_3956.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  7. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I would select "sold" for the eBay search as there aren't many realized prices right now in the ranges people are asking. I do think it's nice though.

Draft saved Draft deleted