Featured Hand Carved Wooden Vessel, Evidently Ex-Suspended

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, Jun 19, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Nothing left of the suspensor material but its outline...which some fool tried to obliterate with a magic marker. The appearance of the unmolested areas is of perhaps a light coating of some form of asphaltum or similar material which also coated the suspensor net.

This wasn't turned on a lathe, as there are diametral anomalies inconsistent with that possibility. The wood grain is visible, but not at all familiar to me. Note the two-toned nature of the exterior bottom, with a distinct red center. Rim wall thickness (about ¼") also varies somewhat. There is a lot of use-wear everywhere; interior walls & floor, exterior bottom & walls. This thing was used...but for what?

The center of the slightly convex, un-enhanced bottom is the center of the tree, or limb it was crafted from. There is no interior evidence of its use as a liquid receptacle, so I wonder about the need for the black exterior covering, which doesn't extend to the bottom. Interior depth is ~6½", rim height is ~7⅛", major diameter is ~5¾", the foot is ~4" to ~4⅜" diameter. It weighs 13 oz.

An' thats all I know about it! Y'all's views are eagerly sought! Thanks...

fullsizeoutput_9698.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9697.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9692.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9693.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9690.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9695.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

Looks highly possible...I'll follow it up, maybe find a solid connection. Thanks!!

Roaring20s likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The base looks like wood, and the shape is close to the second one you found.

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

It is wooden, obvious to the most casual observer.
    I'm gonna go look at Turkana on th' Bay. Thanks!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The shapes of the Turkana containers are quite variable. Some are straight sided, some bulbous, some more vase shaped, but all with flat bottoms (unlike the ceramic jars). The style of leather cover also varies. If @wlwhittier's is a Turkana piece, it would originally have had a leather cap. There may be evidence of that in the apparent wear around the mouth of the jar.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm a very casual observer.:playful:
    Yes, there is nice smooth wear of something having been put on and off the top of the jar over a long period of time.

Firemandk and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted