Hand forged? grasper? that don't seem to grasp anything.

Discussion in 'Tools' started by bercrystal, Jun 4, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I believe this piece is also hand forged. The top portion look like they are suppose to grasp something, but when you pull the handles apart it goes farther apart instead of coming together. :confused::confused::confused:

They are 10 3/4" long.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Well, pliers meant to get a grip, guessing so you could turn, something very specific, gnurled, never used for anything smaller than the size they are with the handles together. Length suggests the task required a lot of leverage/torque. The toolies will have more specific ideas.

Any Jewelry, aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  3. bercrystal

I just measured it & it is about 7/8" across when the handles are closed & about 1 1/2" when handles are apart.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I think both tools are machine forged and not hand forged.

terry5732 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks machine forged to me as well.
    That means it has to grasp something with a cross section roughly shaped like an eagle's beak.
    Which could be a lot of things....:(

aaroncab likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Bent nosed pliers, but for what purpose I don`t know.

7. Bronwen

upload_2018-6-5_12-34-17.png

It looks to me like the curved side would be inserted into a space not much wider than the blade/jaw & then brought back until the teeth meshed with ones on the gear/knob to be turned. It has a ratchet design: meant to move freely in only one direction.

aaroncab likes this.
  8. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I get the impression it is used to grab hot steel during metal work.
    Cheers
    Stephen

aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

10. Bronwen

11. bercrystal

Bronwen likes this.
  12. bercrystal

For anyone who does not know what cleching tongs are (which included me until just a few minutes ago) they are used by a farrier when putting on horseshoes. :happy::happy:

13. Bronwen

I got to thinking about Stephen's remark & was going to look at blacksmith's tools, then considered that it made sense to focus more tightly on farrier's tools &, voilà.

aaroncab likes this.
  14. bercrystal

I am planning on listing the tool stuff tonight, so we will see if anyone might want them. :happy::happy::happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

One of the things I love about participating on this forum is that it keeps the Google algorithms off balance: what do you try to sell to someone who researches champagne flutes & clenching tongs in the same 24 hour period?

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  16. bercrystal

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

It cracks me up when ebay sends me a message asking if I am still interested in purchasing an item, when the only reason I clicked on the listing was I was trying to help someone ID something here. So I wasn't interested in purchasing it in the first place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

It cracks me up when:
    • I get messages from any source saying, Are you still interested? or You might also like..., when the only reason the algorithm knows I might be interested is that I just bought one whatever it is & you only need one.
    • Messages from eBay with listings for things they have chosen especially for me. Overwhelmingly, what I buy on eBay is antique cameos. How they determine I must therefore be in the market for exercise wear & smart phones is one of the great mysteries of on line life.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Tickets to Royal Ascot .. & some strawberries and cream.......

You'll need a Fancier....

upload_2018-6-6_12-22-25.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted