Hand made Copper Coffee Pot with Teak handle - "HD" makers mark, any ID?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by gimbler-dave, Jun 24, 2016.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who this maker is? HD mark on hand made Copper Coffee Pot with Teak handle. Cute finial on lid with running bird cutout. 10 inches high weighing 14.1 ounces. Underside impressed HAND MADE, HD, and 1968. Thanks! ... Dave
    db_hdmark_1.JPG
    db_hdmark_2.JPG

cxgirl, tyeldom3 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like a roadrunner ,so maybe southwest origin ?Fantastic lines on it , I love it .

tyeldom3 and gimbler-dave like this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Would that be a watering can?
    Swiss?
    Sorry, I don't know, just throwing out ideas..:)
    It is very nice.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Dave, it's so CUTE! (Okay, so CUTE may not be what you're striving for... !!!)

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

(Dave, this is just a totally random aside:

A zillion years ago, when I was in boarding school, my roommate bought a new outfit for a "special" dance...

"Oh, that's cute," I commented...

"CUTE is not what we're striving for," she replied...)

6. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'm with Johnny... very roadrunner-y!

EDIT
    Whoahhhhhhh, can see some ostrich-iness, too!

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

roadrunner.....seems to me..

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not WMF, more likely American, and the decoration on the finial looks like a roadrunner to me too...

~Cheryl

Ladybranch and tyeldom3 like this.
  10. gimbler-dave

Thanks all for the comments! Yes, it is a cute piece, kind of a cross of Arts & Crafts & MCM. The "1968" could be a date -- I guess that would fit. I'm not sure if this was intended for actual beverage use what with the soldered seams and all. It could be for watering plants but seems too small and delicate to me for that purpose. The copper must be clear coated to have retained the shine. It is the surviving member of a 2 piece lot that was on eBay - we sold one piece in the store so have to redo the listing.

tyeldom3 and SBSVC like this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I think it is about the right size to water indoor/houseplants (especially those on shelves or small tables). The long(ish) curved spout would be easy to maneuver around/among houseplants. ;)

12. gimbler-dave

Thanks yttli - I think I will add "watering can" or something to that effect to the title/description. Probably a more appropriate application for it.

tyeldom3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It is possible that the solder does not contain lead; lead-free solder is commonly available and often used for applications where one would not want lead.....not sure if it was common in 1968 though, assuming that is a date.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The pot could have been soldered with pure tin or a number of lead free solders like stay-brite which are lead free certified for water pipes,etc.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did you know there was a Copper Museum?
    http://www.copperartmuseum.com/

Under Exhibition Gallery, In each room, if you click on the pictures they enlarge.

I agree with everyone that it is a road runner.

Ladybranch and gimbler-dave like this.
  16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Pat, thank you for telling about and giving the link to the Copper Museum. I didn't know about it!

I also agree with the rest. I don't know if the "HD" is the manufacturer or not. I took a run through the oldcopper marks site with no luck on "HD."
    http://www.oldcopper.org

On doing Google search found several Arab copper coffee/tea (dallahs) with similar, definitely not identical, bird finials. This pot is definitely **not** of Arab origins, but wonder if the maker was hoping for an Arab, middle east motif with this particular bird and crescent shape handle. Here are examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ANTIQU...H-TURKISH-COFFEE-TEA-POT-SIGNED-/261864330372
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/249269488/authentic-antique-brass-plated-dallah

--- Susan

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    gimbler-dave likes this.