Hand made silk ribbon pillow cover????

Discussion in 'Give Aways' started by Mansons2005, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

First things first - this is in awful condition..............faded and worn, and probably musty/tobacco smelling - its been hanging around one house or another for as long as I can remember (and that is a LONG time).

It appears to be machine embroidered silk ribbons/tags, each approx. 1.5" by 2.5", sewn to one side of a plain (dingy) cotton fabric (measures about 15" square), the back of the slip is blank. The ribbons have no common theme (except that I THINK they originally came wrapped around cigars). A quick sampling: Boston Coll, Argentine Republic, Knights of Malta, Trinity (possible my Da got this while attending), Order of Black Eagle, Bucknell, Star of India, et al. There are a few duplicates. Some are so faded that they are unreadable (at least by MY eyes). And as noted, some are just worn out (note top row, extreme left and one missing entirely in the second row down).

Free First Class Parcel shipping within the US (International winners/wanters to pay actual shipping less domestic shipping amount). I'll hold it until Wednesday, then either do the hat thing or toss it if no one has asked for it................

PS I have never even attempted to research this thing............

MVC-390S.JPG

MVC-391S.JPG

MVC-392S.JPG

MVC-393S.JPG

MVC-394S.JPG

MVC-395S.JPG

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Mansons, could some of those be good old fashioned tobacco silks?

DH has a "set" of flag silks, framed, on his office wall:

img0 (235).jpg

I have quite a few of the college ones, tho I haven't done anything with them yet.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. Mansons2005

They probably are - but I haven't looked into it far enough to say definitively and I would hate to be misleading (at least when dealing with friends.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:.........)

I just noticed that there is a kind of British theme going on here............not all, obviously, but enough that I wonder if my Dada didn't make this while at university..................

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Mansons2005

That's the thing! A few of mine match a few of those - Bucknell, etc. Now I remember why I didn't research it................and why I do believe that on Thursday, mine will be lining the bottom of my kitchen pail................

7. Figtree3

Most of the ones that sold were in better condition, as was the one that didn't sell. The one that didn't sell looks the most like yours in type of silk used, and the mixture of countries, colleges, and organizations.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

If you're giving it away, please throw my name in the hat!! I like it!

9. Mansons2005

Jake - you're in the hat - a little lonely in there, but we'll see who else jumps in!

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Can you tell if the Trinity one is from CT? My alma mater, so if it is, I'll toss my name in.

Thanks.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mansons,
    Throw my name into the hat also, please.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Patchwork tobacco silks? I want in please!

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

@LIbraryLady

Silly me - I just assumed that it was Trinity, Oxford (as I noted, there are a preponderance of British organizations represented, Including The Order of The Bath, which I just noticed).

So in an attempt to do do my due diligence, I checked it out and I am amused to report that............I don't know.............The "seal" is too difficult for me to decipher. Here is the best photo I can get - If you are still interested please let me know! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!!! MVC-396S.JPG

MVC-398S.JPG

MVC-397S.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Mansons2005

Here is the list I have to date:

Jakes Vintage, Gregsglass, Evelyb30 with LibraryLady "pending".

If I have omitted anyone - SHOUT - It is not only my eyesight that get fuzzy, sometimes the "whole works" clouds up.........:wideyed::wacky::shame:

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Me too! Me too! I'm in!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could that be Trinity College, DUBLIN? Or tobacco company takeoff on logo of same? That would make an awful lot more sense.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Shell

Shell Active Member

Please put me in.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Mansons2005

Here is the list I have to date:

Jakes Vintage, Gregsglass, Evelyb30, Bookahtoo, Shell

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  19. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Just an aside but . . . Duke University was "Trinity College" beginning in 1859 before the "Duke" family became large benefactors . . . thus the later (1920s) renaming of "Trinity College" to "Duke." The "Dukes" made their money in tobacco back then.;)

KingofThings likes this.
  20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

@Mansons - thank you for your efforts. I don't think it is from my college; there is another in D.C.; also Ireland; and possibly others.

So, I'll withdraw my name.

@yourturn - hadn't known that Trinity/Duke switcheroo. Interesting. Thanks.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted