Hand painted oil lamp. Help with dating and origin.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Armando0831, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg I brought this back from Oklahoma and I love it. It's all hand painted. Just curious if anyone would know possible year or so this would of been done and where from. I'm getting an oriental vibe but not sure. I was thinking probably around the 40-50s.

cxgirl likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

No expert here but think it is quite a bit older than that. You can tell the burner has been replaced but the rest looks old. Would not be surprised if this originally had a painted shade to match.

3. Armando0831

I've seen others that look like this but they are called "parlor lamps". I thought the top piece looked newer, wasn't for sure though.

4. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

This Oil Lamp is from around 1895. As verybrad said, it probably had a matching Shade to go with it.

5. Armando0831

Well dang!! It was my moms but I had never seen a shade. I wonder if I can find one that matches.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Armando,
    These these were hand painted, it is doubtful that you will ever find a match. I have seen several that were painted to try and match, some of them were good, several were awful. The least you can do is find a palin white globe to go on top. When I was living in Brooklyn I used a few people from the Art Studio to do some paintings on glass and wood for a church restoration project. Perhaps you might find someone to repaint a globe for yours.
    greg

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Nothing to add to this thread other than to add what Thuro's Oil Lamps 3, Victorian Kerosene Lighting 1860-1900, pp 162-163 pages on Fostoria Parlour Lamps, says about them:

"...between 1880-1920, these lamps were very popular and very inexpensive. Some were priced as low as a dollar. They were ... made by many manufacturers. There were so many styles produced that unless examples are found in a catalogue or unless they are signed it is difficult to identify a particular lamp. A few still retain their original paper labels.

Many of these lamps that were advertised in mail order catalogues had their metal parts covered with a thin layer of 18k gold. Some had transfer decorations while others were handpainted. The quality varied considerably."

Am including a pic of a few in a Fostoria catalog.

--- Susan

FostoriaLamp.jpg

Armando0831 likes this.
  8. verybrad

Back in the days when parlor oil lamps were popular (70s or so), it was pretty easy to find people who could paint matching shades pretty competently. I am sure there are some still out there but doubt it comes cheap. I think your best bet is to find a burner with spider or mounting ring first and look for a complementary shade to fit it. Something like a milk glass shade with some pattern to it or even a frosted clear shade would work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Armando0831 likes this.
  9. Armando0831

I really like the first shade. I live near a renowned art college.
    I wonder if any of the students, or instructors could do a good job on a paint job.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Give it a shot. A lot of the kids would like to make some money. Besure to have them sign it in case they become famous.
    greg

Armando0831 likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@verybrad
    I think your second shade with the bottom row of ribs is an Aladdin shade. You might want to check it out. More value than a regular shade.

12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>second shade with the bottom row of ribs is an Aladdin shade<

Agree, but not sure Brad actually has those shade in hand. He may have just found pics of different kinds.

--- Susan

13. verybrad

Yep ...... just pics grabbed off the internet for example.

14. Jerry D Carr

Jerry D Carr Member

Burner looks like a Lamp Light Farms, take it off, throw it away. $5 at WalMart

Draft saved Draft deleted