Featured Hand painted vase, Victorian English or something else?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Jun 15, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I have had this a little while and always just thought of it as English, end of 19th century, probably a fairly ordinary Staffordshire firm. Now I'm getting ready to list it oniine and I want to describe it correctly, and wondering if I've made too many assumptions. It is decently painted and moulded in a style I would just regard as "old-fashioned", rather than fitting in to an era like Art Nouveau or Art Deco. Might it be continental rather than English? Any thoughts welcome! Blue vase - 1.jpg Blue vase - 2.jpg Blue vase - 3.jpg Blue vase - 6.jpg

judy, johnnycb09, Tanya and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Definitely looks English to me, it looks earlier than you suggest though, imo it's 1840-60 in date. Unfortunately the restorations to the rim are going to be a major hindrance to any sale potential.

judy likes this.
  3. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This posted itself before i could add the photo of the base! Blue vase - 4.jpg
    Thank you for this information. I hadn't noticed any restoration to the rim, although I do have an optimistic eye. Now I can see something odd about one of the edges of the rim on the upper left of the photo, which I will have to examine closely when I manage to find the vase, put away somewhere for safe keeping. Thank you for pointing it out, failing to describe damage is a major fault in a listing! But i wasn't expecting to get much money for it anyway, in today's very low market for antique ceramics. It's a better time for buying than selling, although I am running out of storage space now!

4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Agree with Ce BCA

Draft saved Draft deleted