Hand sewn satin Wedding dress 1950s

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by i need help, Jun 12, 2018.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

0D8D9CBD-A7BB-46F2-B889-A9F9E512B91D.jpeg 967513FE-AB56-433F-9AFD-BFA3C11B9018.jpeg F0F502ED-D5A0-4628-A648-3DDDFF6A0E9F.jpeg 3FD0A531-95B3-49FC-89D6-DC4A4A1ABC28.jpeg Hi all,
    I have this Family piece, I am in charge of now. It seems to be satin (very heavy) it was hand sewn also by a family member. It has been stored improperly for decades and has yellowed. Is there someway to safely clean this? Or just leave it? Thank you for looking.
    (3rd picture is a sleeve)

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

At one time, dry cleaners cleaned the gown, then placed the gown in a special box for preservation.

I don't know if that service is still available. You can check out a reliable dry cleaner in your area.

Houseful and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

Thank you very much, I will check.

judy likes this.
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It needs to be stored in acid free paper in the meanwhile.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

Thank you, for the tip!

6. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

You're welcome :)

judy and i need help like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They still do it, but I'd make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing with vintage or antique fabrics. Modern chemicals might eat this.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. i need help

Thank you, I will make sure to make sure before doing anything. :)

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with this. I did a little looking online and it sounds like there are also lots of home-developed systems out there. I think somebody needs to know how to assess the fabrics first in order to figure out the best method.

Years ago, a friend gave me a 1930s-era evening dress made of a type of textured satin, and a light icy blue in color. It had belonged to her grandmother. She told me it had lived on a basement floor for a while, and probably was exposed to moisture. It has brown stains all over it and I have never known what to do to get them out. I did ask one dry cleaner where I lived at the time, and they were afraid to touch it...said they didn't know what to do and I appreciate that. It's got the sort of slinky style you see women wearing at parties in 1930s movies.

Back when I got it, it sort of fit me but was not right for my body type. Now I wouldn't try to wear it but it's lived with me for a long time and I want to keep it. This thread is inspiring me to again look into whether it can be cleaned and preserved! I need to put it in a box with acid-free tissue, at least. It is not in plastic but is on a hanger in a dark back corner of a closet.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Splitting hairs here, I know, but I think you mean “hand made“ not “hand sewn“. Hand sewing means that a sewing machine was not involved.

Beautiful gown! It’s likely the satin will clean up well at a dry cleaners.

11. i need help

Thank you Figtree, I’m still unsure about trusting dry cleaners in my area. Your dress sounds beautiful, if you ever do take it out, would love to see a picture.

12. i need help

I’m sure you’re correct that I used the wrong term. I didn’t thoroughly look at the seams. The intricate parts seemed hand sewn. Thank you, I like trying to learn the proper terms. My grandmother made this. She was a seamstress. I’ll ask around, but I don’t know a reliable place in my area. Thank you for the information.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Do you have any decent museums in the area? They'd know someone if they have a textile collection. A university with a textile department might too.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

Not that I know of, but that gives me the idea to ask for recommendations next time I’m in the Antique Mall! They should know where in my area is good. Thanks, Evelyb30!

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I was helping restore the church in Brooklyn there were many old valuable vestments made of several different materials. I had found a place that teaches kids about dry cleaning. The cleaners there took the vestments apart and cleaned them. Then sewed them back together. It was a lot cheaper than having the textile cleaning service at the MET. Later I found out that the Met uses the same dry cleaning school to do certain items for them. Check in the larger cities near you.
    greg

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

Thank you Greg! :)

17. Figtree3

I looked at the dress, and it's in even worse condition than I thought. I knew it had some small holes in the fabric but there are more holes than I remembered. I don't know whether it's from insects or if the fabric is just deteriorating. It's been in the back corner of a long closet that also houses clothes that I wear regularly, including all sorts of fabrics. None were affected by insects so am wondering.

18. i need help

Sorry to hear that.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have found that antique clothing that has never been dry cleaned has the ability to develop tiny holes caused by eggs that were laid years ago when the clothes were made. Some of these eggs last for years and years finally hatching but the larva dies quickly leaving tiny holes. I had several deer antlers mounted after being found in the woods. They were on display for years and never had a problem. I had stored them in a closet for several years. I opened the box and there were several worms crawling around. I ended up trashing the box and its contents. That is when I found out about eggs hatching years later.
    greg

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  20. Figtree3

Wow ... thanks for that information, Greg!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted