HAND SIGNED?? 1917 LADIES NAVY POSTER BY MODEL - JUST FOUND EXACT COPY?!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 12, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this poster at a local thrift store today & thought I'd hit the jackpot (at least of coolness; I could tell it wasn't a original poster) - It is signed by Helen G. O'Neil; the lady posing in the poster & who was a sailor in real life from 1917 - 1924ish.
    But then googling it to try to see what it was worth - I found another with the exact same signature; including day, month & year signed + om the same spot!

These were signed in 1989 so she would have been in her 70s - 80s. Are these copies - or maybe she went to a convention to earn extra money signing a bunch of these? (It looks like it was really done with a sharpie)

Here is the pinrest where the 2nd one is: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/398568635744792626/?lp=true

Thanks in advance!

AA ART POSTER NAVY SIGNED 1A.jpg
    AA ART POSTER NAVY 2AA.jpg

LauraGarnet02 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2018-10-12_14-28-32.png

Identical to my eye, which no 2 ever are.

3. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

True dat. Is it possible, though, that the Pinterest poster is in fact the very same exact one Journey' found at the thrift?

Just for the record, O'Neill was technically not a sailor as such -- a civilian employee inducted as a yeoman aide to the assistant secretary in charge of procuring ships, eventually rising to the position of deputy director of the Women Marines. She would've been at least 89 when she signed the poster (if in fact she actually signed it).

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The handwriting could be of a woman that old, easily. It looks like sharpie. She might have signed one for a fundraiser that was copied, or it could be the same poster ... dunno.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Since it's not an original poster, it wouldn't surprise me that the company/person creating the reproductions added the signature before doing the print run. I'd think it could be they had Helen sign it, or it could be a facsimile.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

I notice it has been cut down at the bottom, compared to the other shown.

[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The 'look' is more 1940 than WWI

Maybe USA was ahead of the curve in fashion?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

639B2D4D-2C9D-469E-818D-EB392BDA84B3.jpeg This link does not go through, maybe we can find this article some other way.

pearlsnblume, Pat P and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Journey sure got the demure version.
    INH - You have the right avatar because you sure are dogged! :joyful:

i need help likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

I will try to take it out of frame to see if I can tell if real or signed in plate - but unless it's the same poster as above that made it to my local thrift store - it's probably a print.
    Although I am surprised more didn't come up when googling it, right?

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

No, I guess it is WWI, based on artist's sig and on the article I linked.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  13. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Totally, indisputably, well-documented as WWI.

Diggummup, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Demming Moon

Demming Moon New Member

I have a friend that knew the model and I have one of these signed and believe there may be as many as five total. I compared my signature with the one shown. They are so very similar.... But diffidently not he same. Very subtle differences in certain letter strokes. I believed she signed them and gave them to friends and family before she died. Being that is mounted and trimmed slightly from the original, I believe they are reproductions autographed by O'Neill later.

i need help likes this.
  15. Demming Moon

Demming Moon New Member

I can provide a close up of my signature if interested? This signature is diffidently different. Especially seen in the capital G. Also that mine came from someone that knew her personally. For that reson I would assume yours is also valid. If not here would be numerous ones for sale.

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

Welcome to the Forum, Demming! :)
    Thank you for following up on this post. I wonder if @journeymagazine still has his.

17. Demming Moon

Demming Moon New Member

I purchased one of these a few years ago from a friend of the model. She signed maybe four or five before she died. They are repos, but the signatures are original.
    They are trimmed at the bottom and mounted but good repos. The signature shown here is almost exact to mine. She had to have been very good at her writing because you must look closely to see the subtle differences. The (G.) on mine has a sharp last stroke where your has more of a curve. Also loops and strokes show slight difference. If interested I can provide a copy of my autograph.

i need help likes this.
  18. Demming Moon

Demming Moon New Member

Has anyone determined a fair value if authentic?

i need help likes this.
  19. i need help

20. journeymagazine

Sorry guys,I sold that a while ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted