Handel / Tiffany Era Art Neaveau Geometric Shapes Leaded Slag Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Jan 1, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg Bought this for a $100 about 10 years back. I'm pretty sure I got my money's worth, but am wondering what it may bring at market. Haven't been able to find one in any of the books in my library or online.

The shade has a bit of damage at the top as the pictures show. The base weighs about 5 lb. The shade weighs about double that. I am not sure what the translucent shade material around the (lead?) soldering is. It sort of has a waxy, plastic feel to it. Anyone recognize this lamp? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Pretty...but contemporary I feel

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree on the attractiveness of the lamp, but also feel that this is not Handel (or any of the other prominent makers) craftsmanship.

judy, johnnycb09 and dude like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is modern. The base is a spelter reproduction of well known Tiffany base. The shade does not match any old examples that I know of.

Fid, judy, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

where is your Handel mark../?

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

never mind..

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. necollectors

Also...I feel that the shade and lamp are married. They did not start their life together. The shade is way to big for that base. The base is new made to look old. The shade is not great quality... just enjoy it.

judy, Ghopper1924 and dude like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The style is in no way Art Nouveau, geometric shapes are very far from that style :)

dude, Fid and judy like this.
  11. komokwa

Handel / Tiffany Era Art Neaveau Geometric Shapes Leaded Slag Lamp

that's just keyword spamming , which is not needed here.....as we'll look anyways ...even if it just stated....old lamp..

12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Noted. Thx. What style would you call it, BTW?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

It was guessing from a novice (your truly)—not spamming—but I hear you. Will make my titles more basic (except when I'm playing on words).

judy, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

https://www.antiquers.com/posts/1415750/

this guy's title is pretty basic....but we found it..;)

you only need to tell us what you do know about your item..... & we'll pick it up from there.
    You know now...we are not shy about voicing comments !! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

15. Marie Forjan

No particular style, just a nice geometric design.

Lucille.b, dude, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. So "geometric shapes" and "geometric designs" are two different animals (terms) in antiquers lingo?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Not Antiquers lingo, just grammar. The shapes are the individual pieces that make up the design of the whole lamp shade :)

18. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Um, sorry to labor on this, but I thought squares and triangles are geometric shapes? I can envision how a collective design can be geometric, but not the individual shapes that comprise it. However, in the case of this lampshade, I see square and triangular (cut off by circles) shapes. See poorly drawn (mouse) illustration below.

upload_2020-1-3_1-11-9.png

19. necollectors

lololol….ok guys....tomato tomoto….think patchwork squares versus patchwork quilt.

dude likes this.
  20. Marie Forjan

The individual pieces are geometric shapes, rectangles, circles, triangles. In this case the geometric shapes are put together in a geometric design. It’s actually very simple, I think you are trying to read too much into it :)

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted