Handkerchiefs & Tablecloth Set--cont'd

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This should be the rest of the handkerchiefs that didn't make the first thread, and the one Tablecloth......the age staining on the tablecloth is the worst of it.....

Also, there is one more set of 11 antique napkins, approximately 15" x 15" including the fringe which look to be in nice condition.....that pic is at the bottom....

@Mansons2005, I don't know what my Mother might have been sipping when she measured, but the tablecloth is NOT 9 feet long.....sorry!! It IS 89 & 1/2" Long including the fringe; and the Width is 68 1/2", including the fringe. The matching dozen napkins are 15" x 15", including the fringe.

Th-th-th-that's all folks......any more input on either how to remove stains or how best to move them, all most gratefully received!!!!! And I totally understand condition is 'everything', and you all HATE this question, but would anyone like to venture some kind of a value range:cool:......????? Again, thank you for any help......
    Sue

Image 23.jpg
    Image 15.jpg Image 16.jpg Image 17.jpg Image 20.jpg Image 22.jpg IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing these photos of your lovely family treasures.
    The top 2 hankies are of trousseau quality.
    As to laundering, I hesitate to advise, but I will say that you will want to remove the label on the tablecloth and preserve it in a plastic sleeve.
    After the stains are treated, you will need to launder the linens and you can expect the fringe to tangle. I usually dry the item completely, then work on untangling the fringe, I usually gently pick at it with a needle. After that, I would dampen the linen and iron while wet.
    The tablecloth is actually a size that would comfortably fit on 6ft table, allowing for overhang.
    As to pricing these items, prices vary considerably depending on location. I am in the northeast and in my area I would expect to sell a clean, unused tablecloth this size with 12 matching napkins in the $75 - 85 range.

tyeldom3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I dry fringed linens on a window pane. Keep it clean and put the wet linen on it brush out the fringe and let it dry on the glass. When it is dry a quick light brush will finish the fringe and no ironing needed.
    greg

Houseful and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, gregsglass, unfortunately I don't have a window in my house that would accommodate a t-cloth that size, but for sure will try it with smaller doilies.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you both, Sandra and Gregsglass, for your suggestions!!!!! Will most definitely take ALL to heart!!

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

The 2nd wedding hankie looks like a type of Brussels lace. There are different types of Brussels lace, and there used to be a really good website for ID'ing lace but it's gone.:( Let me see if I can find any other good lace sites. The 2nd hankie looks like it may be a good one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Could you get a close-up of the 2nd hankie? I'm thinking it looks similar to Brussels Duchesse lace.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  8. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

Very, very beautiful collection! One thing I would suggest is to try drying the tablecloth by rolling up in a couple of clean white towels to get the majority of the water out, as it will weigh a ton and can be damaged when wet. Fold it in half if needed, roll up and then squeeze the roll from one end to the other. Change the towels out as many times as necessary, until just damp. When ironing linen, put a piece of white sheet between the fabric and the iron to avoid a shine.
    When cleaning antique linens, 'less is more' , so all that might be needed is swishing them around in mild soap and water, rinse VERY thoroughly and then treat spots of needed.

I think at this time of year, a complete set that old and in that good condition would sell for at least $100 on Etsy. eBay etc. I sold lots of linens in the past at both, and also on Artfire. A set of 12 Irish linen napkins depicting the "Elgin Marbles" (Greek statuary stolen from the Parthenon and now in the British Museum--fascinating story) sold for over $200.

Also, for stains on white fabric, there's a product called DiDi7 that is really great. It's only for white pieces, and will remove color from embroidery, etc but you won't have that problem. You can get it on Amazon, or wherever they sell 'As Seen on TV' products. It's one of (few) 'miracle' products that actually does what the ads say :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Didi-Seven-Ultra-Universal-Remover/dp/B001G7UAME

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I LOVE the handkerchiefs .. Joy.

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Isn't that damask table cover absolutely SMASHING! I love the tone on tone of damask! Did you get the stains out? Unusual for it to be "German"!

As for the handkerchiefs:
    #1: beautiful, silk, hand bobbin lace Maltese; probably a bit newer than T-O-C... more like 1920
    #2: Yes, the card appears to be correct! It is Brussels Duchesse and late 1880's is spot on.
    #3: Probably machine; I'm guessing Swiss

Very pretty all!
    Leslie

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted