Handmade Middle Eastern Serving Tray - Brass, Copper, and Silver

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Tommy Botham, May 4, 2019.

1. Tommy Botham

Tommy Botham New Member

Trying to find out as much as I can about this piece. It is 23 1/4 inches in diameter. Any info or insights will be appreciated. Thank you!

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Tommy!

Welcome to Antiquers........

If you are having trouble with your photos.......

If they are on your phone, email them to yourself choosing Medium.

Then upload them here and choose Full Image.:cat:

i need help likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2A896D20-2EB0-4407-B27B-814BD8C1A538.jpeg EBFFFD85-10D0-4038-8CD7-40260F9EA97B.jpeg B36E361D-5735-48E2-ADD1-DF2E66919C2D.jpeg 259ACA23-E183-4FC1-ACA1-410F9585220A.jpeg F2FC1AD2-E351-4F33-80A7-871570FDC1BE.jpeg 1A82754D-A8CB-451C-A562-F710500B06E7.jpeg C226A76C-B329-46DD-9DF5-FCB5F00D1AAC.jpeg
    Welcome to the Forum, Tommy! :)
    You can embed photos from the gallery, by clicking the camera icon, next time.

Figtree3, komokwa and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Boy have we been seeing a lot of these lately....

judy and i need help like this.
  5. Tommy Botham

Tommy Botham New Member

Thanks for the help with the pictures! Any thoughts on the platter? I've done quite a bit of searching and have seen a wide price margin, but not a lot of information on how to tell if I have something special or not.

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Figtree3, i need help and judy like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The multi-metal technique produces “Cairoware.”

Figtree3, i need help and judy like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The technique is called koftgari or damascene which is an overlay.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

Well of course, silly, it is a tray not a candleholder! : x )

i need help likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

No one ever posted an eBay link to the other one, and that one had terrible pics in the thread. Could I ask again for eBay link, or eBay number?

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Tommy Botham -- There are many Persian trays sold through eBay recently, of many different designs and types. You could search Sold listings there to see recent sales if that interests you.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Also agree, Cairoware. Search of this term should bring up similar.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Shreedevi Nair Pal

Shreedevi Nair Pal New Member

This is not damascening by any stretch of imagination. Damascening is a kind of inlaying. This is overlaid with silver and has been made in Egypt, in the style of something that used to be made centuries ago. called Mamluk ware. Hence they are called Mamluke revival pieces. From the early part of the 20th century, there are beautiful, densely and intricately worked examples, very finely rendered, delightful if you can find them. I gifted one to a friend's son on his wedding which had passages from the Koran exquisitely worked on it in silver. The original Mamlukware can only be found in Museums now.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I guess you didn't know that Damascene is mostly overlaid. It is misidentified as inlay in many cases by people who never actually looked at the process.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Oppi Untracht"s "Metal Techniques for Craftsmen" is my go-to for sorting out metalworking terms. He defines damascene as: "A metal-decorating process that involves the application of one metal on another by encrustation [overlay] or inlay".

He defines kuftgari as: "A form of damascene originating in India and consisting of the inlay of silver or gold wire into steel".

Here is a good discussion of the confusion generated by the use of the term damascene:
    https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/kap_b/advanced/tb_3_2.html

Nice tray, by the way.

aaroncab likes this.
  16. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

These "Mamluk Revival" pieces were made not only in Kairo, but in other places too, as Damascus or Jerusalem. Here is a collection with some nice examples: https://www.damascusmetalwork.org/

aaroncab and 2manybooks like this.
  17. springfld.arsenal

I don’t worry much about the semantics, if I call it “mixed metals” I don’t get much static.

2manybooks likes this.