Featured Hanuman? - large carving - where from?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by aaroncab, May 9, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Hoping AJ will chime in here - picked this pleasant fellow up yesterday - almost 15" tall. Some type of very hard wood. Weighs almost 6 pounds. Indonesian perhaps? I'm guessing this is Hanuman (from seeing him on a couple other threads here) - but I'm not sure. Some good details on this carving - wonder if the curly hair/fur carving might be indicative of where he's from. Many thanks again for any help :)

Aaron

~

27128537777_99ec272de5_kdev.jpg 41997634671_f5ced7bdd6_kdev.jpg 41278709994_a1264965cc_kdev.jpg 41098157255_07aabf5739_kdev.jpg 41997604471_f65c53414b_kdev.jpg 41098132905_a48167e724_kdev.jpg 41997591011_0f19bd786c_kdev.jpg 41098104255_b4121eaf80_kdev.jpg 27128449267_67986c0def_kdev.jpg 41940594302_ae91bd35d0_kdev.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, Hanuman, from Bali, carved from coromandel wood, which is now protected. So it is an older carving.
    This is the more realistic style, where Hanuman has morphed into a macaque from the Sacred Monkey Forest near Ubud, Bali. They are the guardians of three temples in the forest:
    [​IMG]

The Monkey Forest is a favourite with tourists, and some tourists are favourite with the monkeys:
    [​IMG]

Your Hanuman is wearing the 'salut poleng', a black and white sacred cloth associated with the outside walls of a temple complex. On the outside of a temple complex things are still black and white, a life of opposites, that is what the cloth represents. As you enter the temple, spiritual life is good.
    Salut poleng is often draped around stone statues of temple guards, and is worn during some ceremonies. In your carving Hanuman is represented with the salut poleng to emphasize his protective qualities.
    Salut poleng:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Before moving on & seeing AJ's reply, wondered if wood could be teak & found this site that tells you way more than you ever wanted to know about wood: http://www.wood-database.com/teak/
    Potential resource for answering all those 'what kind of wood is this' questions.

4. aaroncab

Extensive and excellent information AJ - you are encylclopedic - and generous! Thank you for taking the time to illustrate - very helpful! He was hiding behind some planters under the bottom shelf of the knick knack area at the Salvation Army store yesterday - so he wasn't doing much good there. Nothing to protect! He'll do much better guarding my home :)

Houseful, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. aaroncab

I too probably would have guessed teak or something else - coromandel seems dead on though.

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

He looks fierce enough to do a perfect job.:)

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

hes awesome!So tactile .

judy, charlie cheswick and aaroncab like this.
  8. larryE

larryE Active Member

Wow. Nice.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Lovely piece aaroncab. I've not seen one with such detailed carving on the body before. Your information AJ is excellent as usual. I've just returned from Bali and Ubud and you have explained some of the things I saw but did not really understand. Thanks.

10. aaroncab

AUD - THanks, he really is quite a piece - the pictures don't do justice to the three dimensional aspects of the carving. I'm liking him more and more.

judy likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Awesome find!

judy and aaroncab like this.
  12. Sako

Sako New Member

In Indonesia this wood is called Macassar ebony (or in the Indonesian language ‘kayu eboni’ this translates to ‘wood black’). I currently live in Indonesia and own a few nice pieces made from this. It’s beautiful wood and very hard/dense.

Figtree3, Jivvy, Phaik Hooi and 5 others like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Sako!

Welcome to Antiquers!

kyratango, Sako and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Welcome to the forum, @Sako .

Sako and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted