Featured Happy New Year! 40s-50s Xmas Cards- Can Anyone Explain the Prices?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Darkwing Manor, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Firemandk, Houseful, Bronwen and 8 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Darkwing - did you happen to look at their SOLD items? I saw NOTHING in that price range... (but we can all dream, can't we?)

(and Happy New Year, back at you!)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Send me a money order for $275 US.....& I'll explain it in detail....!:shifty::shifty::shifty:

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but check it out. They have over 17,000 (!) cards on there, all in this multi-hundred dollar price range, beautiful photos and descriptions on each. As mentioned, none seem to be sold. It is a bit unusual to say the least!

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"T A S B E M"..............in reference to @komokwa's post above!!!!:joyful::happy::facepalm::singing::rolleyes:

Darkwing Manor, TraceyB, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

they bought out someones hoard for 5 K ...and thought they could make a killing.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe its some sort of tax write off. Otherwise Id have to think they were nuts.

8. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Well, they are offering free shipping, so there's that.....

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

11. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Nope - but I've got several hundred spectacular Valentine cards I better start taking photos of!

12. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

40’s and 50’s do appear more creative than some of my early 1900’s, additionally if you look at the sellers feedback it does seem that sales are made. Unbelievable IMO

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYONE. Glad to put 2020 to rest :)

UPDATE: error on top left card, not a CHRISTMAS Card, my bad....

193D2D26-2375-4AF0-AB93-7CF5D21A4EAD.jpeg 8EFEA375-CBE3-4C24-AE82-9D0E5F80CC96.jpeg

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

But you don't even get any handwriting.

Darkwing Manor and lovewrens like this.
  14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I can understand that for a rare double-themed Santa postcard. Some of the Halloween ones have gone higher.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

That Uncle Sam Santa has a lot going for it.....but 17,000......they can't all be that good !!!

Darkwing Manor, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The seller put the opening minimum amount at $24.99. Looks like one person put in a very high bid of $227.98 several days before it ended. Then another person came in early on the day it ended and put in a fairly high bid of $110. Of course they were immediately outbid. At the last minute that second bidder put in 5 more bids in rapid succession, all within about a five-minute period. That person's final bid finally outbid the original bidder.

So what you have here are two people who really, really wanted it. Why, I don't know! Perhaps they both collect postcards from that town and this one is rare? I assume that the seller was probably very very happy with the result.

By they way, something like this recently happened to me, when another person put in five bids in a very short period of time to try to outbid me on something. I turned out to be the high bidder and the bidding stayed under $100. :) I had put in two bids initially, which I rarely do. Usually stick to one bid, no matter what. But this one interested me because of the writing on the back. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michigan-L...l-in-pine-woods-in-MI-1980-1900-/274621508006

komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

"nibbling" I believe that's called. $228 is a heluva lot of sentimentality.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, collectors can throw caution to the wind, if they really want something.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Maybe there was a family connection to the school that drove the bidders?

moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted