Featured Happy New Year Everyone! I Need Your Help With A Mask & Two Other Pieces. TY!

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by ezeepass, Jan 5, 2022.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone! I hope you all brought in the New Year in good Spirit and wishing you all the best with love, success, happiness and great health for the New Year!

I bought this mask and to me it does not look painted it looks more like semi-precious stones. I did recognize the mother of pearls in different areas of the mask. At first I thought the rest was painted, but it looks like they are just glued/ glazed over. Anyway, I was wondering if this piece is made of all semi- precious stones and does this mask have kind any meaning. I also bought it with two another pieces that are from Africa. Unfortunately those are encased so I hope will be able to see the image well and hoping you will be able to share any information on those too. Thank you as always for your help, I sincerely appreciate. Enjoy your day everyone! @Any Jewelry @Bronwen @evelyb30 @stracci
    A4 (1).JPG A4 (2).JPG A4 (4).JPG A4 (6).JPG A4 (5).JPG A4 (3).JPG A4 (7).JPG A4 (8).JPG A4 (9).JPG A4 (10).JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My Father bought an identical mask as #1 as a tourist item in Mexico 10 years ago.

Boland, Roaring20s, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. ezeepass

Thank you for responding and if you don't mind me asking, Are they all Semi precious stone?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I've seen them on ebay described as Aztec Ceremonial Death Masks, made of abalone and stones.

pearlsnblume, Boland, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. ezeepass

Thank you so much! this was very helpful

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and NewEngland like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From the photo of the back, it looks to me like abalone that has been cleverly painted in a trompe l'oeil manner to look like it is inlaid with lapis & carnelian.

ezeepass likes this.
  7. ezeepass

Thank you Browen! I appreciate you responding

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted