Featured HAPPY SNUFF BOXES FOR EVERYBODY WHO COLLECTS THEM!!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Aqui.
    I'll have this one, thank you.:happy:
    [​IMG]

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Aquitaine

HAHA!!! I'll buy you yours if you buy me mine......and thank YOU!!!

2018_CKS_16285_0206_000(a_saxon_hardstone_and_gold_bonbonniere_by_johann-christian_neuber_dres).jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Throw in this one and we have a deal.:D:hilarious:
    [​IMG]

thefathand likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

YUMMMMMMMMY.jpg NOW, I'm scared to go look................:cool::cool::cool:

OK, AJ, you DO realize, that leaves me WAAAAAAAY ahead in the savings department!!!!:happy::happy::happy::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hungry::hungry::hungry::joyful::):):smug::smuggrin::smuggrin::D:woot::woot::woot::wacky::wacky::woot::woot::woot:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. Aquitaine

Well, that was fun anyway and it didn't cost us a dime!!!:playful::playful::playful:

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This one with the grisaille enamel for me. It will now drive me nuts. Pretty sure I have seen the image before, but of course now can't remember & can't find:

Royal couple w daughters of who grisaille.jpg

kyratango, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Beautiful items! That said, way too much money for my pockets! I appreciate the fun though. :D

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Gold boxes are a passion of mine (pictures only, sadly). They were made for aristocrats and you still pretty much have to be one to afford them.

Absolutely incredible workmanship.

There's a story of one of the Louis presenting a gold box to a newly arrived ambassador. The ambassador sold it back to the original merchant and used the money to finance his embassy. When that embassy ended, Louis presented him again with the same box as a parting gift.

I have most of the books written about them, most of the published collection catalogs, and a goodly number of the sales catalogs. (At least pre-2000.) When one catalog gives references to other published sources, odds are I'll have it.

The one catalog I don't have is the Louvre's. It's expensive, both the one from 1934 (Nocq and Dreyfus), and the one from 1981 (Grandjean). Mostly black and white photos, which is what holds me back.

Strangely, in my fantasies, I don't see myself as owning them, but rather as being involved in their manufacture.

I read just recently that there are more designs extant for gold boxes than for any other 18th C article. Most of them cannot be matched up to existing boxes.

This picture of an 18th C lathe for producing guillocher patterns is from "Gold Boxes of Europe" by Kenneth Snowman (probably still the #1 picture book on the subject).
    Engine Turning Guillocher Lathe.JPG

Bronwen, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You see those numbers on the Neuber box? There will be a little booklet, likely hidden in a secret compartment in the box, identifying each stone.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Is that the one @Any Jewelry's "buying" for me???? COOL idea!!!!! HAHAHA!!!! AND WHO besides Warren Buffet has that kind of $$$$$$$$$ anyway!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango and judy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I don't just buy you any old junk.:pompous::hilarious::hilarious:
    It reminds me a bit of Victorian Scottish pebble jewellery. Only a bit. I have a set, which will do for now.... Ok, more than do, I am happy with it.:happy:

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

And I vote for this one...the Louis XVI enamelled gold.
    upload_2018-6-18_9-4-57.png

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted