Harp Pins/Pegs ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brubaker50, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

harp pins.JPG Have had these items a while and recently saw a photo of a similar item and wondered if anyone can recognise them .Top piece isnt a peg but the four underneath look like they could be.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The top piece looks like a chasing tool.

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know; generally the simple-style pins used for autoharps and zithers have very noticeable threads at the bottom, and a hole near the top for the string; the upper hole shows relief for the stirng, to avoid breakage. They are carefully screwed into the pinblock, just enough to put the hole for the string at the right height; and I'd assume the simplest sort of pins for upright or Irish harps are similar.

4. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Hi thanks for looking I discovered a website that gives examples of what I have apart from the top punch tool that got caught in the photo.They could be medieval or possibly earlier , one was found in an Irish Castle now a ruin as a lot of them are.I thought the top piece is something like a punch tool it has geometric lines carved all along the shaft.

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted