Has anyone seen a mixer like this ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by antiquity, May 16, 2019.

1. antiquity

antiquity Member

I found this in a local Value Village. Of course I bought it because I had never seen a mixer like this. Can anyone tell me the approx. age, and more importantly the maker of this device. It is very heavy duty, and looks like an mix master of old, but there is no manufacturer name on it or any identification, that I can see.
    It appears that there likely was a cap of some sort on the top, that is gone, maybe at some time there was identification on that.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. antiquity

antiquity Member

I just remembered how to enlarge it.

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

63BD4006-5195-4804-B949-BA15281A153C.jpeg
    Check Full Image

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like a commercial grade machine. Can we see the electronics, controls and plug? (Assuming it still has same attached.)

scoutshouse, judy and Dawnno like this.
  5. antiquity

antiquity Member

I thought so also, but it has no electronics, or controls of any kind, and is powered by that hand crank you see.
    While I say it looks commercial, it is only 11 inches high and the beaters themselves do not look any larger than a household mix master. That it what struck me as an early type of mix master.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Does the bowl stay in one place as the mixers churn or does it revolve? How do you get the bowl out to empty and clean?

7. Bakersgma

Is the round part you say might have had a cap open into the bowl?

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. antiquity

antiquity Member

The bowl sits on a base that likely had turn table on it, the head of the piece lifts, and tilts back, with the beaters, to clear the bowl, and where the top of the head has the round part, that I think is missing, there is a hole on the base where I guess something could be placed to fall into the bowl as it mixes ???

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

hand crank dough maker/mixer

10. Bakersgma

:facepalm: That makes so much sense!! My great aunt had a dough mixer, although this one wasn't ringing any bells.

11. antiquity

antiquity Member

Thanks for the input folks. I was not really thinking of a dough maker as much as a beater, as the piece does not have a dough blade, but rather a pair of beater type blades. But really this is another area of which I have little to no knowledge about.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's the original Mixmaster..:hilarious::hilarious:

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would not have thought for bread, but even though I have seen the bucket shaped hand cranked mixers, I have never seen anything like this... So anything I have to say is spectator rambling. :)

14. antiquity

antiquity Member

mixer2 002.jpg mixer2 003.jpg mixer2 001.jpg mixer2 001.jpg any idea of what era this would have been ?

Here are a couple of more pictures, just for clarity.

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I am a kitchen mixer collector and have an extensive collection although mine are all electric. I have over 125 different ones, mostly pre WWII. I do pay attention to the hand mixers and have a few. I have not seen this design before. Does it have a patent number? All of the patents for kitchen mixers and eggbeaters have been catalogued.The hey day for mixer companies was the 1930s.

This was not a dough mixer. All the small electric whippers and hand powered mixers were for gravy and mayonnaise. This one seems very well made and would probably handle cake batter.

The mixers intended for making mayonnaise all had some method of adding the oil to the eggs a drop at a time. I suspect you are missing the oil cup and the adjustable dropper. These are often missing and very hard to find.

Nice piece, I would probably have bought it also!

Dennis (notice my login name is Mixdenny).

NewEngland, scoutshouse, judy and 7 others like this.
  16. antiquity

antiquity Member

Thanks Mixdenny,
    and all others that offered an opinion as to what it is. This has given me the stronger urge to try and identify the time and maker of this piece. It is made of cast, and I do know I am at least missing the top lid/plate, whatever. There are absolutely no markings, patents. or casting numbers anywhere on the pieces I have. I think back in the day these companies often used decals for identification, and if so it was likely on the lid, or back base, and has been worn off over the years. The other thing that I thought was strange, was that the beaters themselves are not removable for cleaning, at least not easily. When I got it, it was very tough to turn the handle, so I did disassemble that part and to take off the beaters, I had to knock the small cast gears off of them, of course worrying that they would break, but they did not, so as I said the beaters themselves were not made to remove.
    To this point, I have looked at length, on the internet to even find a close appearing mixer like this to no avail, but I shall not stop.
    Thanks again for all the comments, and assistance.
    Bill

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you give a photo of the underneath, please?

scoutshouse, judy and Jivvy like this.
  18. antiquity

antiquity Member

Sure Can.
    1st is bottom base
    2nd is the bottom of the top part the beaters fit into.
    3rd is the top of the machine, where we know the lid is missing.
    4th is the top side of the bottom base
    Bill

Attached Files:

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe not even American????

scoutshouse, judy and i need help like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting information and I enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks!

scoutshouse and i need help like this.