Featured has anyone seen these photo cards before?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Phaik Hooi, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

could these photo cards have come out of a cigarette pack? they are 3 1/2" by 2 1/2" cards seemingly to advertise comics and movies? they look like real photos. and did they really have Roy Rogers and Gene Autry comic books?

would like some background information on when and where one would find these photo cards. tq.

regards
    phaik hooi

cards Gene Autry comics.jpg cards Roy Rogers comics.jpg cards Tom Mix.jpg cards western.jpg cards comics.jpg cards Blackhawk.jpg cards Monte Hale.jpg cards Hopalong Cassidy.jpg card Golden Arrow.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Looks like someone just took photos of their comic collection. Not professionally/company produced.

judy, AJefferson and Figtree3 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Roy Rogers....had everything.... & Dale Too !!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    AJefferson and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

The ones with the non straight edges is called a deckle edge. The 3 that have been trimmed have no value to a collector.
    I have some and seen those in baseball cards. I don't know right off hand of any common Roy Rogers cards that look like that.
    Do you have any pictures of the backs of them?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Yes - Both done by Dell comics from 1940s - 1960s

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

There was a set of Roy Rogers comic book cover trading cards issued in 1992, in color, but I haven't found any older ones in B&W:
    img0 (393).jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well the B&W's are there.....in color

judy, AJefferson and SBSVC like this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Considering the poor framing of the subject matter, the different sizes and types of the photo stock, and the mixture of Western and Super Hero comics, I don't really see this as being anything more than someone taking photos of their collection. I suppose it could have been a poor knockoff/unlicensed set from another country where quality didn't matter as much.

A shot of the backs might help determine things of course.

judy, Phaik Hooi, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with @Kronos -- and also, seeing the backs would be very helpful!

judy likes this.
  10. Phaik Hooi

agree! definitely not professionally/company produced.

but may not be someone taking photos of their comic collection either because the card paper is quite good. i think they could have been cinema promotional/advertorial cards?
    i have a theory: i am from Penang and so these cards are not easily available, unlike cigarette cards that came in the cigarette pack. during the late 1930s, cinemas were introduced. they played both british and american movies. to advertise, local printers had to reproduce the film flyers, usually with the cinema details and showing times and some have 2 or even 4 language translations. i think the cinemas printed these and handed them out to their customers?? of course, i have no way of confirming this, just extrapolating from the cinema/movie flyers :wideyed:;):D:joyful:.

nothing at the back. difference in quality of paper used.
    deckle edge photos. card.
    cards1.jpg
    straight edge photos. card.
    cards2.jpg
    thinner paper. movie scenes?
    movie.jpg
    card.
    actress1.jpg actress2.jpg

judy likes this.
  11. Phaik Hooi

here is something authentic for those who may have been appalled by my explanation .... :shame::shame::shame::D:D:D

benny leonard.jpg

Batman_2000 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted