Has anyone seen this type of art before?

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

First off sorry about the pic quality. i took them with my phone at the thrift store. Half of the painting is done in silver leaf at least i think it is leaf. there are two of them there about 16" x 20"
    One has the company sticker on it but couldn't find anything on the company. I didn't buy them because i wanted to find out about them first and they were asking $20 each..

Mikey
    unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything like these, although they vaguely remind me of pictures I've seen for sale in windows in Chinatown years back. These are a little more detailed, though.

If you are purchasing for resale, I might hesitate as there don't seem to be others out there (just did a quick search) so how to market it. South Korean framed art doesn't seem to even be on Ebay for the most part. Under Ebay sold searching "Korean framed" there is very little and nothing like this. If you have a B&M store, you'll have to be the judge whether someone would want them.

The label appears to be 20th century, if I had to guess from the 1960's or later, and the frames look vintage. The fact that the label is on the front of the 2nd piece is a little unusual.

They are kind of interesting in their own way. I'd probably have taken a 2nd look at them just for their uniqueness, if they are for your own enjoyment and not resale, I think the price is okay. Not sure there is money to be made for resale --just my opinion (could be wrong!)

Maybe others will have thoughts.

judy likes this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yes, could be the same technique. There is just this one match under "Korean reverse painting" on Ebay but unsold at $99, and zero matches w/the same search under completed or sold. So if for resale, even if they are reverse painted, and cool as they are, if it was me I'd take that into account.

The label in the front just makes me think they were produced at the time for general consumption, rather than a particular artist's work. Just a guess, though.

It's hard to know when their aren't others to compare, but if selling on Ebay you have to ship them as well, not the easiest. If for your own enjoyment, go for it! (Does the thrift offer returns? Maybe you could grab them while you do more research.)

Perhaps others will comment.

judy likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

I had to sleep on it. I was thinking I will get one of them but Which one. Dragon vase or birds? The blurred part on the vase is dirt.
    AAAAASeoul.JPG
    AAAASeoul1.JPG

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I have 2 very small pieces similarly to this, made of india ink with gold leaf surround, they were done in the 1970s. I didn't realize this "art glass" could have been "the source" for this idea!

Out of the 2 you photographed, I prefer the birds, however I'd probably have bought them both. Thankfully I wasn't there! ;)

Joshua Brown likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted