Has This Ever Happened to You?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Sometimes this business can get real coincidental so I'll ask "has this ever happened to you?"

I went to a live auction this week and bought a Service for 12 of Haviland all white china in the Torse pattern with the marks from the 50s-60s. Really lovely and I wish I could keep it for myself, but I digress . . .

One day later, I look in on a local on-line auction for some furniture (I'm redecorating a guest room) and I find more white Torse, but with older marks. So I bid on it and won it.

Then I see where there's another on-line auction the same day in an area of town that is nearby so I look at it and guess what the first item is, a set of Haviland Torse Bergere! It's raining Torse! So I won it too AND got a great piece of furniture at the 2nd auction for my guest bedroom.

I started thinking about this years ago when I found a Westmoreland milk glass square cake stand that I hadn't seen in Years at an auction, and then found another a week later (and won that one at a much better price). It seems that these multiple spottings happen frequently. Has this ever happened to you?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I have had a number of things like that recently. Not seen for a long time, then at every sale or auction.

Recently it was tonnage though. Every sale a truckload of heavy grunge.

kentworld likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It happens. If an item was hot for a few years, all the folks who bought it at the time break up house/retire at about the same time too. And out it pops. I'm waiting for my sister's patterns to show up that way.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Wow ola, what a neat "three time" haul, and pricey little buggers too. ;)

5. spirit-of-shiloh

Oh, usually the only time I have a period of threes is when I lose an animal,never fails two more will follow. :arghh:

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I don't have any pets, but my friend always has at least 2-3 dogs (small ones). She said that the "dying at the same time" thing was so traumatic that she is now staggering her dogs. When one of them gets a little elderly, she gets another puppy. Sounds harsh but it really isn't, the losses are hard not only on the people but on her other pets as well.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It always happened as soon as I give up collecting something and sell them. Three or four other pieces show up.
    greg:sour::sour::sour::sour::sour::sour::sour::sour:

8. spirit-of-shiloh

I agree Ola, when I was rescuing animals,horses and cats, they came in age groups so of course most passed away in clusters according to age. I have had a few horses and cats out live their counter parts. :) Yes they DO mourn too. :arghh:

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

LOL, Greg! It happens to me when I've been hoarding an odd saucer or lid or whatever piece part. And then, I get crazy and do a clean sweep, that's when the matching pieces start to show up. Never fails!

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Knock on wood, I have been very fortunate in that many times I will decide that I would like to find a certain item at the thrift shops (or tag sales, or whatever), and LO! they appear. Sometimes the items have been really ridiculous. Like the time I needed lavender knitting yarn for wrapping a birthday present, and then a potato masher -- the kind with an insert and a piece of metal that goes sqoush. And pale, pale pink damask napkins. An enormous and elegant 3-ring notebook. (The elegance was the operative feature) One of the finds which really delighted me was flat edged, white with gold soup plates. Nine of them -- five from one person, four from another -- exactly the same, and on the same DAY!

Going to look up Torse now! :)

11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

AHA! :) Learned a new word!

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A lot of it is just keeping your eyes peeled. That Bergere pattern is pretty. 1980s?

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I looked up the mark in Nora Travis' book and she has it between 1958 - 1967. It's a Theo. Haviland pattern.

Draft saved Draft deleted